Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to Connect to an ACT! from third party tools?

Is it possible to Connect to an ACT! from third party tools?

Hello Everyone,

I'm not a user of ACT! but have been assigned to develop a web based interface that includes accessing data from the ACT! database.

Could someone help me in my understanding of how ACT! is set up and how i access the data on an ACT! database as a third party vendor.

I understand it's a SQL Database, so ia it possible to install the SQL SErver tools, such as Enterprise Console and manage the ACT! database using this? By default what would be the connection string?

The company that i'm doing this for, are not sure how they've got ACT! set up and what the sys admin passwords are since someone else sorted that out for them and they have now left. So i'm having to work out how ACT is set up and how to integrate it into a web development project as well.

Any help would be most appreciated.

THanks

Hummy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is it possible to Connect to an ACT! from third party tools?

There are a number of different ways to access ACT! data.

Read only by OLEDB or the ACTReader utility

Read/Write via the ACT! SDK

Is there some documention about the OLEDB connection or the ACT Reader utility to see how i can utilise these.

Thanks

I'm having some difficulty getting the ACT! reader utility (as i'm based in the UK) so i have today been trying to connect to ACT using OLEDB.

I get all the way to the end of the process having followed the knowledgebase article and ruight at the end whejn it should display the data Excel crashes. I'm running Excel 2003. I've updated MDAC but still no luck. I get the same problem on tywo machines. One running XP and one running Server 2003.

Any ideas or anyone know where i can look for diagnostic information.

Thanks

Try asking about this in the Developers forum:

http://community.act.com/sage/?category.id=ActDevNet

You might also try asking a UK ACC to see if they can get you the ACT Reader utility

I willt try the developer forum.

IO called UK ACT and they said i have to upgrade to premium version in order to obtain Act Reader Utility. At the moment upgrading to the premium version is a no go. So ii'll have to access ACT! DB using OLEDB.

Well, at least the ACReader utility is an option in the UK... just a bit harder to find :-(