Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it better to Install without SQL

Tuned Listener

Is it better to Install without SQL

System is new Server 2008, 5 Windows 7 pro clients & 5 Window XP Pro clients.  Now that we can install the software on the clients without installing SQL - is this the better practice?  Or should we just install SQL everywhere as before.

Would the answer be any different if upgrading an existing system where the Clients (guess what, its the XP machines!) had a previous version of ACT! and therefore SQL 2005 Express?

Robin Gray
Small Business Software Solutions
Silver Contributor

Re: Is it better to Install without SQL

We generally don't install sql if every ie always sharing the database from the server in the office at the same time.. If they need to sync, obviously they need it.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Super Contributor

Many ACC's  have run into significant problems with installing SQL 2008R2 Express. My advice, if you can avoid instaling SQL go with that. On the other hand, if you love solving Microsoft's problems, and don't care about either money or time, go for it.

Tuned Listener

Thanks guys for your replies - I also have spent far too long learning what goes wrong with SQL installs.  No more SQL on clients for me - methinks.

Robin Gray
Small Business Software Solutions
Bronze Contributor

I agree - don't install that fine piece of bloatware if you don't have to.  BUT, if you or your client continues to use ACT!'s own Internet Email (rather than connect to Outlook), AND you don't install SQL, you'll find it takes 3-4+ minutes for ACT!'s Internet Email to open up each day - I'm convinced it's looking for SQL and eventually times out and works because Sage didn't take the hooks to SQL out.  Remember that the code to ACT! Internet Email is 7+ years old (written for ACT! 6 for 2004) and I think no one at Sage knows what goes on in that code and they're afraid to mess with it.

Signature