Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is Act for Real Estate 12 a premium program? need Lan syncing

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Is Act for Real Estate 12 a premium program? need Lan syncing

I understand that the Premium Act programs are able to use a local LAN for syncing but not the Act basic program.  I cannot find anywhere information on Act For Real Estate 12 which I have now.

I have a desktop computer with Act, and my laptop which I take to my office with Act, I just want to sync the two Act dbs together when I return to my home office and access my desktop computer.  I used to do this in my local office via a small server for 2 computers, years ago, but, cannot get this Act program to work on these two computers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Is Act for Real Estate 12 a premium program? need Lan syncing

I GOT IT!!!!!   whoopee.... It works!!!!

I have been working on this sync for 3 days now....     I redid the remote database and sync settings on the Vista machine after I turned off User control.  Then I went through and redid the port and program exceptions on both machines..  I tried so many different things on both machines not sure what really did it. 

This was pretty difficult and I know somewhat about computers and I'm not afraid to go through settings, etc. What do people that don't know what they are doing do?

Also, there are so many KB pages on this subject and I went through so many of them but, think it was the last page you sent me that helped.

Thanks Greg

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Promoplus,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The Real Estate version has both a Standard and Premium build and synchronization is available in both builds.  You can determine if you have the Premium version or not by: in ACT! > look at upper left hand corner of ACT! window > it will have the version followed by the database name - if it is does not include the word 'Premium', it is the Standard version.  This can also be found under the Help > About ACT! option.

To synchronize you will need a Publisher/Subscriber relationship with the 2 databases.  Here is an article with instructions for creating a remote (subscriber) database: KB Article 14116.

With the Standard version of ACT!, you will need to have the main (Publisher) database open at the time you initiate the sync from the remote database, this is referred to as 'Application Sync'.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I have tried done all the Pulisher/Subscriber syncing instructions for the past two days....  there are so many KB instructions on this subject and I have viewed them all and tried them all and nothing seems to work.

I have a Desktop Computer (Vista 64 bit) Host database and a Laptop (Windows 7 64bit) with remote database. Both computers are running the exact same program/build. Both computers are on the same LAN. Both computers can see one another. The laptop with the remote database cannot sync and I get the error "Act! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running. Also be sure you are connected to your network."   

I went through the KB instructions for this error message and that is not helping either....

I'm am really not sure what to do next....  I just want to sync my two computers.

thanks

The first thing is to make sure both databases are open when attempting to sync.  If they are both open and the issue persists, here is an article with steps for resolving this issue: KB Article 24341

Within the article, check the step the Firewall/Antivirus first.  You'll want to add ACT! exceptions to your firewall/antivirus software.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you Greg for your help....   Yes, both databases are open and next to each other so I can go back and forth to check.

I had added all the exceptions to windows firewall.... Question:  on my laptop (windows 7) with remote database, do I need to add inbound and outbound exceptions?  The Host database is on desktop (vista).

Any other ideas?

Copper Contributor

I added inbound and outbound to my Windows 7 laptop (with remote database)... including ports, etc.

Really not sure what to try next.....

Did you add the exceptions to both machines?  The machine that absolutely needs the exceptions is the host machine (Vista).

Beyond that you will need to make sure that the 2 machines are communicating - try the steps to ping the Vista from the Win7 machine and ensure the protocols are enabled.

Can you browse through Windows Explorer (the 'Computer' icon) from the Win7 machine to any folders on the Vista machine?

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I GOT IT!!!!!   whoopee.... It works!!!!

I have been working on this sync for 3 days now....     I redid the remote database and sync settings on the Vista machine after I turned off User control.  Then I went through and redid the port and program exceptions on both machines..  I tried so many different things on both machines not sure what really did it. 

This was pretty difficult and I know somewhat about computers and I'm not afraid to go through settings, etc. What do people that don't know what they are doing do?

Also, there are so many KB pages on this subject and I went through so many of them but, think it was the last page you sent me that helped.

Thanks Greg