Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is ACT! 10 Mail Merge Reliable At All? Emails going out to the wrong contacts.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Is ACT! 10 Mail Merge Reliable At All? Emails going out to the wrong contacts.

Or is it me? 

Good way to Kill your business - ACT!10  Mail Merge Email going out to the wrong contacts. 

Tried the ACT! 10 Mail Merge feature so I could reach out to some of my Prospects.

Used the ACT! email program. NO I will not Interface Outlook 2007 with my ACT! 10.

I've done some testing of the ACT! 10 Mail Merge feature off and on and I think I will leave it OFF from now on. 

Today I tried to resolve that issue and take great care by testing my Lookups and made sure I used the Correct Search Criteria,

and some how, people were receiving marketing emails from me today, that Were for Sure NOT selected in my Lookup.

Even tested the emails with my own company records and that worked ok.

I can't believe how much trouble I went to today, to get it right by making sure all my Selected Contacts WERE just that.

The Records I Selected were confirmed to be a good list and somehow, ACT! decided to use some other Criteria and sent out emails to folks

that were not suposed to receive a email. Yes of course, all those people were in my database, but they were not selected in my lookup.

I just sent out 350 emails but I'm not sure who to yet? I am a seasoned Lookuper.

Kept it real simple by using a Next Email Date field and I put todays date in the field of those record I wanted to email today.

Now how can those emails have gone out to folks that did not have todays date in that special field?

Initially it appears that ACT! ignored my Lookup and just went down the database  list alphabetically ?

Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone know how to actually get this process to work CORRECTLY?

OK I'm thru rambling but I still need some anger managment.  It's Miller Time.  

Thank you in advance - FSB.

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is ACT! 10 Mail Merge Reliable At All? Emails going out to the wrong contacts.

Hello Bill,

Just need some additional information for clarification:

- Are you using the ACT! Email Client with an Internet Mail account?

- Is the merge going out to your entire database?

- Are you on the latest build of ACT! 2008 (10.0.3 , Hotfix 2)?

Also, please list the exact steps you are taking when creating your Lookup and performing the mail merge.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Is ACT! 10 Mail Merge Reliable At All? Emails going out to the wrong contacts.

Hello Greig,

I have been experimenting - testing my ACT! 10.02 Mail Merge Processes and have tried several approaches. 

Using ACT!s Write Templates and some Custom Wite Templates, etc..

I have tried using Outlook 2007 as default-interfaced with ACT! 10.02

My Outlook default account is a Microsoft webmail account.

Tried using the ACT! email program with a microsoft webmail account.

Have spent several days overall dealing with ACT! Email issues. Interfacing Outlook with ACT! seems to be a major delima for many users.

At present, I was Not planning to upgrade this particular system to version 10.03 hotfix2 and even though it is possible, I dont believe that the version difference is the prob.   Unless your newer hotfixes addressed this specific problem?  I could be wrong, I was once before. This process also had other problems regarding the Write Templates. However, I will seriously consider upgrading to 10.03 and try mail merge again someday. There is a valid reason for me keeping this system on the current version.

I do not care to experiment anymore since one of my major competitors CEO called me on this matter.

I can pretty much guarantee you, he was not in any of my Lookup criteria for my Prospect Markeing efforts.

Nor were the other Non-Prospect contacts that got emails from me.

If you have time to call me, we can do a screen sharing session and I can show you  some of the processes I was using, but I don't plan to use this feature for a while now. Maybe not at all ever? My reputation is still a little bit important to me and I prefer Not to look that incompitent for at least another month or two. 

Now having said all that, how can anyone rest assured that their Mail Merges are actually going out to the Correct Targets ?

I'm pretty good at bending softwares till they break and this seems like could be a major break in ACT! to me?

But not to alarm anyone yet, as I said, I was wrong once before and could be this time without further testing which I am not excited about doing.

Before I do anymore test, I would need to construct a test database with test data and that is something you guys can do better than me.

Not much time at present for testing and I do not care to corrupt my Outlook 2007 again.

So I hope someone at Sage looks into this. Would be nice to hear from you. Thank you - FSBill  Ph 501-205-4350

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bill,

Please see you Private Messages.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If anyone figured out a way to fix this, I'd appreciate some help - we're having the same problem.  Thanks.