Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Integrating with ACT!

Integrating with ACT!

I've been assigned with a task of developing a custom add on for use with a clients ACT! system.

The client wants specific access to certain data for agents based remotely. So he wants them to log in via a website and see relevant records for which they only have access. Currently the only requirement is for read only access. They only need to view data.

What i'd like to do and the customer would also like to do so that it does not affect his production environment is to on a nighlty basis backup the live database and restore that onto another server. It is this second server that the website will connect to to see relevant data.

I wanted to find out if there is an automated way of backing up and restoring an ACT! database or if i have to write some code to do that as well.

Not knowing ACT! well enough yet, are there any potential problems with the solution that we;re thinking of proposing?

Thanks in advance...

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Integrating with ACT!

You can probably get the results you want without writing an add on.

Check out ACT Premium for the Web

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can read the data via OLEDB or by obtaining the ACTReader utility from corporate sales.

ACT! can automatically backup the data, but not restore it. To move the database in code you could stop the SQL services on both machins, copy the database (but not the PAD file which you'd have a modified copy on the new machine) and supplemental folders. Then restart the services on both machines

IT says your ACT! Reader utility is only availabel to north American customers. I'm based in the UK. Will this be a problem.?
Platinum Elite Contributor

I really don't know.. you could try one of the UK Certified Consultants and ask them.

This is one of the many issues that Sage has with their regionalisation... they seem to make sense in the US, but the other offices don't seem to understand ACT! users. I really wish Sage would realise the internet and IT are global, unlike the accounting industry