Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Integrating ACT with Outlook asking for database passwo

Integrating ACT with Outlook asking for database passwo

Have finally got a client's laptop talking to the ACT databse on his server. However when trying to integrate with Oulook as the default for email etc, when trying to add the ACT address book to Outlook, it is asking for a database username and password, however the database does not use a username/password for access.

Is this because the database is on the server? Two other staff members run their own databases off their laptops not via the server and they were not asked this when adding the ACT address book to their Outlook.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Greg

Re: Integrating ACT with Outlook asking for database passwo

Greg,

An ACT! database will always have a username.  Open the database and go to Tools --> Manage Users.  You'll see the user name there.

Sorry my mistake. Yes the database does have a username but definitely no password. So the problem still remains, when prompted to setup the ACT address book for Outlook a password is required, otherwise the OK button is "greyed" out and non selectable, therefore no link can be initialised.

I did notice however on the Sage support pages that the ACT demo database should at least appear in the  "type" of address book to add to Outlook. This does not happen on my client's laptop, so could it perhaps be a install problem that didn't link to two programs together?

Otherwise what to do when a password is required but there is no password setup?

Thanks

Bump anyone?

hi Greg - I met this problem and, being a newbie, I added a password just to keep ACT! happy - and it worked!

Guy

Platinum Elite Contributor

That is a good solution!  Either reset the password or create one under Tools/Manager Users so you can add the address book.  This is required so that Outlook has permission to access the ACT! database for the address info.  If there is no passord, then leave it blank in Outlook and just put the username only.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks guyc and ghollister for your replies. That is straightforward however, and I suppose this is the crux of the problem, can anyone tell me why this is occuring when the scenario is two users with no password for their individual databases had no problem connecting Outlook to ACT but one does? All three run the same versions of Outlook/ACT/ Windows etc.

I know I can pull the "that's just a software glitch" but my client is demanding a better explanation.

Has anyone else struck this type of behaviour before?

Thanks again for your help to date.