Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing DB in another computer

Installing DB in another computer

I have my Act 2009/V11 installed in a backup desktop computer but there is no DB installed. How do I put my DB into it. I use a laptop and every day do a backup (zip file). Also I do a save copy as... Is there a procedure that will work?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing DB in another computer

As I assume you'll want to use both and sync them, you'll need to set up sync rather than just load the backup

Probably best to restore the database on the desktop, then create a remote database for the laptop

Not really want to sync. Just have the other computer ready to use in case my laptop crashes and am unable to use it. Like a spare tire for your car. I don't think I can restore a DB in another computer using a zip file though so I am just looking for a procedure from my initial backup on my laptop that will be compatible to install in my desktop.

If the ZIP is created by ACT! backup ... take the ZIP to the other PC
File | Restore - select "Restore As"

But, it's not easy to keep up-to-date ... if not doing sync, then do the backups to a Dropbox folder as per:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2012/12/taking-your-act-on-holiday.html

Then, if the laptop is damaged, you can restore the last backup from the cloud

Seems to go using restore as but when its over, there is no records in the DB. I don't know why. I am stumped.