Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing Act 2009

Installing Act 2009

I am trying to install Act 2009 version 11.0 on my desktop computer with Windows 7.   I am at the stage where it is finalizing and an error message popped up saying: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action.  Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."  I have no idea what to do.  I have AOL on my computer and don't know what this error message means.  If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Re: Installing Act 2009

It sounds to me like there might be another error happening in the background. Some errors request from you whether you wish to report them or not, and require an email program such as Outlook in order to send. Does the installation appear to end without completing after popping up with this error message?

To see if there is an additional error, you can go to the Windows Event Viewer and see if something might have popped up in the background:

1. Click Start > right-click Computer and click Manage

2. Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application

3. Look for any errors that may refer to Act or installation around the time that you receive the error 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing Act 2009

Windows 7 no longer contains a mail client component such as Outlook Express (XP) / Windows Mail (Vista). They (MS) want you to use there MSN / Microsoft Live internet mail client now. Because of this omission, there is no longer a MAPI subsystem on the default OS.

Upon installation of ACT! 11.x, there are components that are registered against MAPI, which obviously are no longer available. The result during installation is an annoying message indicating there is no default email client available. You will also get this message using the program after the install anywhere that may affect email functionality.

ACT! 11.x product is NOT certified with Windows 7,

However, if you need to!, the work around is to install MS Office FIRST (it lays down MAPI), then install your ACT! 11.x product.