Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT premium without SQL express( SQL standard) : "there are several features that wont work wihtout sql express"

Installing ACT premium without SQL express( SQL standard) : "there are several features that wont work wihtout sql express"

Hi there, i try to install act premium 2011 on MS Server 2008 with SQL standard 2008 R2. In the install guide pt. 7 there is "ATENTION" that state that several act features will wont work without SQL Express and stated that additional info will be at KB . What are those features ? should i install sql express anyway ? what with MS Terminal server , all user will use act on MS Terminal server which is another computer , should i install sql express on terminal server ? ( we will use Act email). 

THQ for help

Re: Installing ACT premium without SQL express( SQL standard) : "there are several features that wont work wihtout sql express"

OK i found that :

mportant Note: Several Sage ACT! 2011 features do not function when you install without SQL Server Express such as:
Creating/Saving/Restoring databases
Database synchronization.
Import/Export
ACT! Diagnostics Utility (ACTDIAG)
ACT! Internet Mail

So how should i install act on such system :

1) one computer is ms 2008 server with sql  standard which should act as main sql engine for act - it should be(the instance) named act7 to be use with act instead of sql express (should the option "install sql express " during custom install  be checked as in "How to manual set SQL server instance for act 2011" guide?

2)second computer is MS terminal server - here should stay main instalation of aplication BUT if i want to use act "internet email" should i install also sql express ? if i install it and it probably install another act7 sql instance , will there be no problem with 1)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing ACT premium without SQL express( SQL standard) : "there are several features that wont work wihtout sql express"

You don't need to Install SQL Express if you have SQL standard installed ... you just need to manually create the ACT7 instance first

Thanks Mike, and whats with terminal server instalation ? do i have to install act with sql express checked if i want to use "act email client" ? and if i install it with it will there be no problem with instance name ? or if the ACT7 instance is on the other computer so instaling on terminal wont create same name instance ?

You need SQL on the machine hosting a SQL database ...

If you don't have SQL standard, then you need SQL Express
Tuned Listener

so what is the point of that warning in install guide pt 7 :
Important Note: Several Sage ACT! 2011 features do not function when you install without SQL Server Express such as:
ACT! Internet Mail
??

Tuned Listener

So now i do not understand : if i install act without any sql on computer "A" and connect to db that is on "B" computer (where standard sql and act is instaled) can i use act with its act email client or not ( on "A" comp) ?

btw : why even if i choose custom install i do not have a window with choice if i want sql express or not ?

Btw2 Smiley Happy thanks for help

Ahhh I read that you were using terminal services ... why aren't you just using that for ACT!?

You do need to have SQL installed (Standard or Express) on any machine hosting a database (including the email system if you use Internet Mail)

The option to not include SQL in custom is a couple of screens in
Tuned Listener

to clarify : terminal server is used to work with act (eg using act email) , but DB is on SQL server on other computer(thats the client wish). so do sql is needed on terminal server or not ?