Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT! on Server - does it install without altering the versions installed on our computers?

Installing ACT! on Server - does it install without altering the versions installed on our computers?

We have 2 licenses to use ACT! and we just installed a new server at our company. How do we install ACT! on the server, and when we are installing ACT! on the server, how do we know that it is installing on the server and not on the computer we are using to do the install? We have a downloaded version of ACT! saved on the server - but when we go to install it, it unzips and then starts to install - but it does not say where it is performing the install - is it installing on the server? We do not want it to change our current db set ups on our computers? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Installing ACT! on Server - does it install without altering the versions installed on our computers?

You maybe ahead to use a ACT! consultant for your current needs? It seems there is some critical info you have not provided in your post. ex; What version of ACT! are you currently using? Are all users using same version of ACT!? hope so.

Normally when you install a software on a pc, you install it from the pc you want it installed on. So if you run the ACT!2012 installer on pc1, then ACT!2012 will install on pc1.  Also normally, if you install ACT! on a Server, then the users have what is called a RDB remote database that syncs with the primary server database. The same version of ACT! is used by all. I hope this basic info points you in rite direction. Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Re: Installing ACT! on Server - does it install without altering the versions installed on our computers?

Hi - thanks for the reply - we are using ACT! 2001 Pro - are both using the same version/build. As I read your reply you indicate that when you install sw on a pc, you install it from the pc you want it installed on. So....based on your answer, my ASSUMPTION is: instead of accessing our server from my pc - I should just go right to the server, install it and then configure our individual pcs to be RDBs that will synch with the primary server db - does this sound right? Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes.

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Now have ACT! installed on our server, I created a db (empty), and I am still unable to synch from remote DBs to server DB. I have followed all the instructions for setting up db to be shared, yet when I come to synch from a remote db, it will come up with an error indicating:

ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming synch" is enabled in the main db and that the Network synch server is running. Also be sure you are connected to your network. Contact your admin for assistance."

The accept incoming synchs is turned on.

How do you point the RDBs to find and synch with db on server? I don't think that the RDBs know where to go to synch.

Our remote dbs existed before the db on our server, does that make a difference?

Would a virus program cause any issues?

This shouldn't be this hard -

Platinum Super Contributor

Remotes can only synchronize with the main database from which they were created.  Your databases will not sync with the empty database. 

If the 2 databases sync/used to sync with each other, you will want to move the main database to the server and then adjust the settings to point to the server.  Here is an article on moving a database and retaining synchronization: KB Article 19817

If you want to start over with a new 'main' database on the server, I recommend taking one of the existing databases > create a backup > restore the backup on the server > create new remotes from the new database.  Here are article with instructions:

Backup/Restore

Create Remotes

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the reply - I followed your suggestions in creating a backup of the DB that is on my laptop, tried to restore it on the server DB - but it would not restore. So I exported my laptop DB to the server DB. I took some time, but it completed successfully.

I then tried to create a remote DB from ACT! on the server to my laptop. It would go through the steps, but it did not create a remote DB on my laptop.

I followed the steps slowly to make sure I did not miss anything - went through the process 3X times - no luck.

We are running the same version of ACT! both on the server and on my laptop.

Do I need to de-install ACT! on my laptop, create the remote DB on my laptop, re-install ACT! on my laptop and have it open the remote DB I created from the server DB?

Any ideas?

You didn't mention if the screen had a message on it or not, but this article may be what you are experiencing: KB Article 26076

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg;

Yes, that is the message I have been receiving.

Here is the location of the supplemental files: \\ company_usa \ companyusa_act_database-databasefiles

(COMPANY = the name of our company, for security reasons, I am not disclosing it)

These folders were already present in the Parent database.

I followed the directions carefully - tried it many different times, no luck.

Thanks for all your help!

A few other things to try:

1. Update permissions on the folder containing the database (and apply to all sub folders): Add 'Everyone' 'Full Control'.  Right click folder 'company_usa', select Properties > Security

Enter 'Everyone' > click 'Check Names' > click OK

Enable 'Full Control' > click OK

Attempt to create remote

2. Use steps to Delete Database Preferences in article KB Article 27607.

(You will need to download the new version of ActDiag - attached to article)

Attempt to create remote

3. Test with a new database

Create a new database (File > New Database)

Attempt to create remote.  Successful or not?

Greg Martin
Sage