Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT 2012 Pro on new computer server 2008 issue

Copper Contributor

Installing ACT 2012 Pro on new computer server 2008 issue

Hello, I got a new Surface (yay) that I'd like to utilize to run remote database (single user ACT! 2012 Pro). I had a tablet that I had upgraded to Win 10 and ACT worked fine for what I needed on it, so that isn't a concern. WHen I tried to install as a fresh install, however, I've got an error that SQL 2008 isn't supported in Win10. Is there a workaround for this? I did try a direct download from MS, but the express version won't install (Hive error, whatever that is), but the regular version did seem to install OK (SQL server 2008 R2 SP1). Anyone have any ideas, or am I out of luck on using 2012 Pro?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Installing ACT 2012 Pro on new computer server 2008 issue

ACT! 2012 is only compatible with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. Per Microsoft, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 is not supported on Windows 10. I can't think of a workaround for getting it to work directly on Windows 10 short of setting up a virtual machine that has a supported version of Windows on it and using the virtual machine to work in Act! and any program that you use that might integrate with it. However, that  might not be ideal for your situation, and might actually cost you extra money to do something like that. 

Additionally, ACT! 2012 wasn't designed to run on Windows 10, and while you may be able to get it running on one of your machines, since it isn't certified against working in that environment, you may experience errors or the program may cease to function as expected.

For the best experience using Act! with Windows 10, it's recommended that you are using Act! v17.2 or later, as these versions support use with Windows 10. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

ok, thank you. Interesting that an in-place upgrade to Win10 lets 2012 work fine, but can't do a fresh install.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not really. The in place upgrade would lever the existing install of SQL 2008 R2 in place but a fresh install on Windows 10 wouldn't install SQL 2008 R2. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129