Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT! 2011 Pro using SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition ACT7 Instance (with details)

Installing ACT! 2011 Pro using SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition ACT7 Instance (with details)

Hi, just purchased ACT 2011.  Have Developer version of SQL 2008 installed on my PC (I am an IT developer).  I installed an ACT7 instance, then upgraded it with SP1 (since I am runing Windows 7).  I then ran the ACT install DVD.  It correctly identified my existing ACT7 instance and I supplied the correct sa password.  However, I then received the message: "Sage ACT! has detected an incompatible version of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 ACT7 instance.  Please uninstall the instance and restart this installation."  I understand that ACT's default is to install SQL Server Express.   But I understand from Microsoft that SQL Server Express should not be installed on the same machine as their Developer Edition.  Can you advise how I can tell ACT! to use the ACT7 instance I created with the SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition?  Thanks ... Michael

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Installing ACT! 2011 Pro using SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition ACT7 Instance (with details)

I am guessing that because you are attempting to install ACT! Pro as opposed to ACT! Premium, you cannot install it on this version of SQL.  The deal that is worked out between Sage and Microsoft for usage of the SQL Engine is that Pro is tied to the Express version only...

I do not know the differences specifically between SQL Standard and Developer, but my sense is that Developer is much like Standard except only support a capped number of connections - 10 likely...

Have you specifically reviewed Microsoft Technet to confirm that you cannot install express and developer on the same PC?

For the most part, the SQL instances "mind their own business" and you can multiples.  You will have to remove the ACT7 instance of developer you created in any case...