02-12-2010 09:51 AM
I am converting from version 6.0 to version 11. I attempted to follow the installation guide and had no success several months ago. I was very busy and had no time to followup. I've been continuing to use version 6.0. Now, I am again attempting to install version 11 and I have several questions.
1. I plan to UNinstall version 11 and start over. Will uninstalling version 11 cause any problems with version 6.0 that I use many times a day?
2. When I REinstall version 11 again I need clear instructions on how to install in a network server environment so that my ACT database files resid on the network server only and not on individual workstations. Version 11 is so different from version 6.0 that I am having difficulty clearly visualizing how this software works. I don't know what to do at the network server and I don't know what to do at each workstation. I want my staff (4 total) to be able to update the database and save the database file with a new date at the beginning of each month. I DO NOT want to give administrator access to the network server to my staff (tech support told me I had to do this when I called them when I first attempted to install the software months ago). I was told that I have to give them administrator rights on their workstation and the network server. That can't be right.
3. Will this product (version 11) allow my staff, at their workstations, to update and save the database to a folder location on the network server? Will they be able to save the database with a new filename on the network server on the 1st of each month from their workstations?
4. I would really appreciate having clear instructions for installing version 11 in a network server environment where the instructions clearly state what to do at the network server and what to do at each workstation and the proper sequence for both?
I appreciate your assistance.
Have a blessed day.
02-15-2010 03:06 AM
1. They are fine together and don't connect, so uninstalling either won't make a difference to the other- except if connecting to Outlook... only the last one installed will be able to be used as the address book.
The install has to be done as admin and all users need full control of the database supplemental files on the server.
3. Why would you want them to save the database to a new name?
4. See 2 above
Also make sure you have backups configured. See
06-11-2012 01:45 PM
Hi, I'll say up front that I don't have the answer and I'm sorry I can't help you. I too am having difficulty upgrading from Version 6 to the newer version (in my case 2012). I can't find any clear instructions on how to install 2012 and convert our older database on our server. I'm just told to install on the server so it can be shared. I'm having problems getting it converted at the server level and keep getting SQL errors. Anyway, did you find a solution to your issues? Thanks.
06-12-2012 01:09 AM