Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installed Windows 10, Now Act 16 PRO is crashing everytime I click on the Documents Tab

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Installed Windows 10, Now Act 16 PRO is crashing everytime I click on the Documents Tab

I was in the same boat and downloaded all the customer info / data from Act! into a csv file.

You can do this anyway and then open up the file in MS Excel. I then initially, I created a table with the fields that I wanted in SpeedBase and imported the data. You don’t need any programming knowledge in SpeedBase to create the tables, so you could try this in the demo version. Have a go and see how you get on.

Regards

Siggi

Highlighted
Skilled Commentator

Re: Installed Windows 10, Now Act 16 PRO is crashing everytime I click on the Documents Tab

Thanks
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

All,

for those that have the document crash problem in V16 I have tested the suggestion to fix the problem as per the newsletter October 2015 and it does not solve the problem (for me). You can find more info in their act answer no 38199 This is the link to the instruction http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199

If you want to try this for yourself then these are the instructions in the newsletter for ACT! Pro

• Verify the version of Act! you are using by clicking Help > About Act!

• Navigate to your C:\ drive and locate the folder which contains the installation media for your version and release of Act!. The folder will be named similarly to the following examples:

• Act!_Pro_[version number]

• Within the appropriate folder navigate through one of the following directories, depending on whether you are using Act! for windows or Act! for Web:

• Act Pro: C:\[folder from step 2]\ACTSTD\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir

• Locate and right-click Act.Shared.Win32.dll, then click Copy

• Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT

• Right click Act for Windows, and choose Paste

Note: If you are using Act! Premium (access via web), Right-click Act for Web and choose Paste

• When prompted, choose the option to Copy and Replace

• On your keyboard, press the Windows key + R

• In the Run dialog, type cmd, (in admin mode) then press Enter

• Type the following into the command prompt depending on your version of Act!:

• Act! Pro or Act! Premium: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows

• Press Enter to change the directory

• Type gacutil /i act.shared.win32.dll, then press Enter

• Restart your computer

• Test attaching a document

I personally have now moved away from ACT!

Regards

Siggi

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I've been reading your posts with great interest - and I'll try the fix to see if I can continue to attach documents to me records.

I've been using ACT since version 1, so have many years of data. But I too am a very small user and cannot afford the new paradigm of monthly subscriptions, which basically upgrade almost every year. I've probably upgraded every 2-3 years in the past. So, if you're considering switching to another CRM, what are you considering. I do not need the sales side of the software, but simply an efficient way to manage my calendar and contacts, and my conversations/correspondence with them. The software I've considered in the past do not import my notes and history, which are CRITICAL to what I do.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]
Please be aware, the Act! Community is not intended for the promotion of third-party CRM software, services, products, websites, or organizations. Please refrain from posting or requesting content that would constitute advertising. Any such posts will be removed.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Sorry - I didn't think of that. But you must understand the frustration about ACT no longer supporting a version that is barely more than one year old ...!

Highlighted
Administrator

We currently support Act! 2012, 2013, v16 & v17. The issue in discussion is that Windows 10 doesn't support Act! v16 or below, due to some changes made in .NET 4.6 which was released 10 months after the sale of Act! v17 began. I understand your frustrations, and we'd always recommended to check compatibility of applications before making a major change to your PC like an OS upgrade.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi,

if you can send me a private message I will provide you with what you can do regarding exporting data from ACT! to another system. Basically if you can export it from ACT! then you can import the information into - say an excel spreadsheet or any other program that accepts CSV data. From memory, you can't export the notes or history info. This is a limitation of ACT!  But that said, send me a private message and I'll try to help you out.

Siggi Ingason

Located in Southampton

England

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info - I've done the export, but I really NEED to have my histories and notes. Otherwise the contact data is near worthless.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Someone else will probably answer this one better than me, but I think you can “purchase” software to export the notes and history from act into a csv file. I’ve decided to keep act to look up data (for backup only) and gradually manually copy and paste the info that I want to keep, into my replacement system. I will then eventually totally stop using ACT.

Siggi