Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Installation of ACT! reproducibly destroys ability to make Image Backups due to VSS errors (SQLWRITER, SQLVDI)

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Installation of ACT! reproducibly destroys ability to make Image Backups due to VSS errors (SQLWRITER, SQLVDI)

[ Edited ]

hi Guys,

the easy way to fix this is to get hold of the SA password. 

you may want to checkout this thread 

with the SA password, most backup software can run a backup of the SQL Act7 instance

in any case, we recomend to use the backup created by act, or by our tool DataSuite Service (where you can backup the data to a offsite FTP) as restoring a act backup will be much easyer. 

regards

Ingo Lange

+49 8282 800400

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 208 56192-34
Silver Contributor

Re: Installation of ACT! reproducibly destroys ability to make Image Backups due to VSS errors (SQLWRITER, SQLVDI)

In my experience - If the back software requires you to enter the SA password the only reliable way of getting it to work is to create the ACT Instance manually. I know its a pain but this way you get to create the SA password so the backup software can access the SQL instance without any problems.

Link on how to do this -

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38099/~/how-to-manually-create-the-microsoft-sql-server-20...

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi 

creating the SQL instance manualy is  unfortunaly not working in germany with SQL2014 and above, it did work with SQL2008R2 and below, we allways have to create the instance with act , so identifying the current SA password can be done via a Request at swiftpage. this would solve the issue. 

regards

Ingo lange

+49 8282 800400

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 208 56192-34
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Ingo,

could you be a bit more specific about "not working manual instance creation for SQL2014", as we are not facing any issues with that?

Just to avoid any problems we might run into and might not know about?

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/a-vss-critical-writer-has-failed-sqlserverwrite...

is how I found out about this error.

I cant believe Swiftpage has not fixed this problem!