Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installation Issue

Installation Issue

Installing ACT - get the "ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled" error (specifies that it can't find the file).  Have checked and the ACT7 database is installed and running.  Tried removing the database and running the install again...I think it works until the point where it tries to install the sample database.

I have a full version of SQL Server 2005 also running on this machine.  Tried stopping that service, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Installation Issue

Is this under a virtual environment (VMware) or a real physical machine?

Please try stopping the ACT7 service from Services.msc, open a command prompt, do a release / renew of ipconfig, restart the ACT7 instance and try your procedure again.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

No such luck.  It's my own physical machine, not VMWare or anything.

I can even connect to the database with SQL Server Management Studio - there's no databases in the instance aside from the system databases installed, but the instance is definitely running and not disabled.

Here's the full error message:

ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.HardReset(String strSecurityCmdLnApp, String ACTPath)
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2005(String SourcePath, String ACTPath, String Param, String strSAPWD, Boolean InstallSP)
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2005(String strSrcPath, String strSQLPath, String strACTPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean IsSPNeeded)

Nickel Elite Contributor

OK let's do this.

1) Open Add/Remove Programs in Control panel

2) Find the Microsoft SQL Server line item and click "Change / Remove".

3) Remove the ACT7 instance from this machine.

4) Uninstall your ACT! product and reboot the machine.

5) Reinstall your ACT! product from your source media.

Obviously there is something wrong with the ACT7 instance on this particular machine, but I think the procedure above will be the quickest / easiest attempt to resolve the issue.

Please post your results, if there is still an issue, we can continue from there.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Yeah, I tried that first, before even posting here, that didn't work.  It appears that if there is an issue with the instance, then it's installed that way every time.

Nickel Elite Contributor

When you mention that you have the "Full version of SQL 2005", what version is that?  Standard, Enterprise, Developer?

Since you already own SQL, please uninstall the ACT7 instance as well as your ACT! product.

Next, using your SQL media, please use ACT! Knowledgebase article 19231 as a guide to manually create and configure an ACT7 instance with your media.

Once this is complete, reinstall your ACT! product, note you will be prompted for the SA password you assigned to the instance during the process.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

I've been getting the same error message and have tried the solutions posted in this thread, but none of them work. I can't even see the ACT7 service when I launch Services.msc.

When I try to remove the ACT7 instance using Add/Remove programs for Microsoft SQL 2005 Express, I can see the instance initially but when I reach the screen which says 'The following components are now being removed', there are no components shown at all.

I have tried stopping and then restarting ACT7 by using 'net stop/start', but this made no difference either.

I have XP SP3 and all the latest updates from Microsoft. We already have ACT! on two machines in the office, so I have no idea why it won't install on this one.
Platinum Elite Contributor

JammyJay,

If you do not see the ACT7 instance of SQL, then it was not successfully installed. However, there may be pieces of that need to be removed in order to successfully install it. Follow the instructions these Knowledgebase articles to manually remove the SQL components, then reinstall the ACT7 instance of SQL:

How to Manually Remove the ACT7 Instance of SQL Server®

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I downloaded the trail version and have the exact same issue. I think it's ridiculous to have an install that fails and you have to "manually" remove from the registry (which takes a half hour, then "manually" install SQL. I've wasted 2 hours on this and the solution I've come up with is to uninstall this product and find something that actually works without having to spend hours reading forums. My time is more valuable to me than this not very well thought out product.

Copper Contributor

I removed the ACT7 instance of SQL according to the Knowledgebase article, but I still can't install ACT!.