Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installation Error

Tuned Listener

Installation Error

Trying to install ACT 10. and receive an installation error of 1336. 
Tuned Listener

Re: Installation Error

I tried it again and it now says it has to install SQL.  Then it says will not install.

Did I just waste my money?

Platinum Elite Contributor

That is an error indicating depleted system resources. This is caused by a file handles leak in the Microsoft .Net Framework. Version 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 had problems with the leak. With version 10.0.2 and later, the install was changed to reduce the effect of the file handle leak. From personal experience, there are several things that make the problem worse: XP Home as the OS, only 512 Meg RAM, and use of Trend Micro for the antivirus. Typically once you have problems you will also need to use the special uninstaller before attempting to install again. There is an ACT! uninstaller utility available through the Knowledge Base. Search for Article ID 19338. The download is at the bottom of the article.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Do you suggest reformatting?  Or are there any other recommendations? 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Reformatting won't help. In my previous post I listed several things to check.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

The error actually reflects a problem on the hosting operating system:

1336 There was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation. Folder: [3]. System error code: [2]

Make sure you have read / write ability to the c:\Windows folder.  Also, check the available space on the drive, as this could be a factor as well.

In the ACT! media, you will find a folder called Dependencies.  In it, there is a 55meg or so file call SQLEXPR.EXE.   This is the MIcrosoft SQL Express media.  Simply launch this standalone and install it choosing all the defaults.  If there is an error, it should give a decent explanation as to why it failed.

Thanks,

-Matt 

Matthew McFadden