Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installation Error/SQL Express

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Installation Error/SQL Express

ACT! by Sage, 2009 Version 11.0

I have installed ACT! on 3 other machines with no problems all being XP Professional. I'm running into a sql problem during installation and am receiving the following:

ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either running or disabled. \n\nSystem.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWith CreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.diagnostics.Process.Start() at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.hardReset(String strSecurityCmdLnApp,String ACTPath) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2005(String SourcePath, String SourcePath,String ACTPath, String Param, StringstrSAPWD, Boolean installSP) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2005(String strSrcPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean ISSPNeeded)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Installation Error/SQL Express

Ok, this is a piece of cake.

I misread this and thought you were on Vista.

The issue here is that you had an MSXML6 version installed on your machine prior to your upgrade to XP Service Pack 3.

This is a Microsoft induced error when attempting to install SQL Express 2005 (4035) with Service Pack 3.

We have a knowledge base article for this very issue.

Please review ACT! Knowledgebase article 24152.  This should get you going.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

From Start|Run, open Services.msc and see if you have an ACT7 SQL Service instance listed.  If one is listed, check the properties.  It should be marked "Automatic".  If not set it to Automatic and start the service.  Then attempt your install again.

If you do NOT have an ACT7 SQL Service instance listed, open Add/Remove programs from Control Panel and look for line item "Microsoft SQL Server".  Choose "Change / uninstall"  When the maintenance screen comes up, see if one of the instances is entitled "ACT7".  If so, choose it for delete / uninstall.  Once that is complete, reinstall your ACT! software again.

thanks,

Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

This error would indicate that there are some leftover registry items from a previous install of the ACT7 instance. Follow the steps in KB Article 22957 to manually remove these items. Then reboot and install.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I also concur with Greg's response as well.

thank you 

Matthew McFadden

[ Edited ]

I'll give it a whirl and report what happens.. Thanks for the help.

Here's what I have to report... I went through the manual removal but no act items or sql server items were in the registry. I did every step that I could and rebooted. I attempted to reinstall ACT! (this is a 1st time install, it was never previously on the machine) and when I get to the window showing the installation of SQL Server, all pass except for the MSXML (very top one) and the SQL Server Database Services (very bottom). The next screen for ACT crashes out with a form to fill out to report the error. I supply my name and email address and that can't connect so it doesn't go through.

After it bombed out, I went into the registry. I can see SQL Server in hkey local machine/software/microsoft/microsoft SQL Server/

The only sub under SQL Server is 90/Bootstrap/MSIRefCount and Setup. There is nothing else. ACT is not in the registry.

It seems that ACT does not install until SQL Server is finished b/c the setup crashes out.

All I have for ACT in application data is: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.RSIBD\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 11 with HistoryQueue and Preferences as subs with nothing in them.

Program Files: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows with Demo_us directory, demodb_us extraction, seccmdlnoutput txt file, sqlrun.log and securitycmdlnapp

Services:The only thing SQL service running is SQL Server VSS Writer ; there is nothing for ACT

Act is not in the Start menu, nor is SQL

Add/Remove Programs: Nothing for ACT ; Microsoft SQL Server Native Client ; Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files ;  Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

Please let me know if there is any other info I can supply. Hopefully I'm not leaving anything out!

Message Edited by rveach@rexsystems.com on 07-22-2009 07:12 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

On the ACT install media under the dependencies folder, you should find a 56 meg or so file called SQLEXR.exe.  This is the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 Service Pack 3 redistributable package.  It is no different than the one you can download from the Microsoft web site.

Install this package on your machine taking all the default values.  Should this install completely without error, you should now be able to install your ACT! Edition.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

[ Edited ]

It's a no go. It made it all the way to where it failed on the MSXML and database services. I did noticed that it created additional sub directories in program files for SQL Server but there is still no SQL Server process. I was reading up on some SQL errors and XP SP3. Should I uninstall SP3 and install, then reinstall SP3 if it works? (I don't know why it would, the other machines it was installed on has SP3 as well)

Message Edited by rveach@rexsystems.com on 07-22-2009 12:48 PM
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Ok, this is a piece of cake.

I misread this and thought you were on Vista.

The issue here is that you had an MSXML6 version installed on your machine prior to your upgrade to XP Service Pack 3.

This is a Microsoft induced error when attempting to install SQL Express 2005 (4035) with Service Pack 3.

We have a knowledge base article for this very issue.

Please review ACT! Knowledgebase article 24152.  This should get you going.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Bingo! It works!  Everything installed without any problems. I haven't yet to run the ACT! app, but it seems that it's going to work just fine. I'll open ACT! tomorrow (so I can have some part of my day today not ruined) and open the remote file I created and everything should be good to go!

Thanks for all your help. Awesome help! Much appreciated.