Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Install a New Version 17 on New Computer or Upgrade

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Install a New Version 17 on New Computer or Upgrade

I am an individual user currently using ACT 2011 on an older laptop with Windows 8.
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 and also purchased a copy of ACT v 17
What is the proper way to set up the new computer with ACT 17?
Can I load the new full version 17 and then restore a backup database?
Or do I need to load and set up ACT 2011 to the new computer and then do an upgrade installation for 17?

Thanks for any suggestion and help.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author keithabees
‎12-11-2015 04:06 PM

Re: Install a New Version 17 on New Computer or Upgrade

Hi Keith,

Backup your current Act! database and then install v17 straight onto the new laptop. You don't need to install the older version first. Transfer the backup onto the new laptop and open the Act! program. Inside, got to File - Restore - Database. Choose "Restore As" and restore your backup. This can take some time depending on the size of your database. When the process is finished, you should be good to continue using the program.

Peter

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author keithabees
‎12-11-2015 04:06 PM

Hi Keith,

Backup your current Act! database and then install v17 straight onto the new laptop. You don't need to install the older version first. Transfer the backup onto the new laptop and open the Act! program. Inside, got to File - Restore - Database. Choose "Restore As" and restore your backup. This can take some time depending on the size of your database. When the process is finished, you should be good to continue using the program.

Peter

Astute Commentator

Hello Peter,
Thank you for the info. I am up and running.
The only issue I had was, I needed to use the Restore As option
It took me a few minutes to find it again on the second attempt to install but it went smoothly after that.
Thanks again!
Sent from my iPhone=

Keith,

Can you tell me how that would affect me and my group? We're three people, all syncing over the WiFi here at the office. I've got the Publisher database on my computer and I'm due for a new computer. I assume I'd need to create new remote DB's for the rest of the team once I restore the old DB on my new machine?

And we're running Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.  Any idea if it plays nice with Windows 10? I'm currently on Windows 7 and assume the new tower would have 10.

And one last question. We're considering adding a fourth employee, who would work remotely. In order to sync his database, I'm hearing I can go the route of cloud-based Act (way too expensive for us) or set up a VPN. Any advice on versions of Act / Windows that are particularly good at the VPN type of set up?

Many thanks!

Nick

Platinum Elite Contributor

Your version would be fine for syncing, however ACT! 2011 won't work with Windows 10 and you would need an additional license for the new employee and none are available foe ACT! 2011. You will need to consider upgrading to the latest version of the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Thanks for the help. Here's my updated thinking followed by another question or two, if you have a minute. We're skipping the VPN idea, too much of a hassle. The three of us in the office will upgrade our computers to Windows 10, update our Act licences to the current Act Pro, and we'll get a license for the fourth guy, who works remotely.

Every week or two, I'll put a new copy of the DB on a thumb drive and mail it to the remote guy and he'll do a Restore Remote DB. He won't be able to sync with us back in headquarters but that's not a big deal for us.

New question: I'd like to omit a quarter of the contacts in the DB that one of local guys sees (and same goes for the Remote DB the new guy receives). These are just personal records in the boss's DB that the employees don't need to see. These 25% of contacts are in distinct Groups, so I can easily omit them when I create a sync set. So my question is, if I have a "Main" DB that my boss and I share with a sync set that includes everyone, can I also create a "75%" sync set that also syncs with the "Main" DB? or does database syncing only work if each remote DB was created using the same sync set?

Our set up, in case relevant:

My computer hosts the Publisher DB. My boss and the third local guy are syncing their Remote DBs via our WiFi network.

Much appreciated!

Nick

Multiple sync sets can be defined. I wouldn't try copying the database for the remote. I would use something like Hamachi to sync with the remote, the setup is little different from WiFi and there is a knowledge base document describing the setup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, I think I misspoke. I wouldn't use a Copy feature to make a copy of the database for the remote worker. I would burn a copy of the DB Back Up to a thumb drive and have him do a Restore as Remote DB. Does that sound kosher?

It works bu there are drawbacks. The biggest is that you would need to do a restore as with a different name each time. Trust me, go for the sync.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Your input is much appreciated, believe me. I guess I'm shy about syncing via VPN since I've never used a VPN nor do I know the first thing about them. We can afford to spend a bit of money to get a VPN set up and running. I'm guessing it would involve buying a new tower to host the main database plus whatever software and hardware are required to create a VPN. I'm sure there's lots I'm leaving out but what's a ballpark cost range we could expect to spend to get a VPN up and running?