Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Install ACT 2009 without SQL Express

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Install ACT 2009 without SQL Express

I have 4 users ready to use ACT shared database. I installed one and imported contacts. But this program is heavy, I don't know why I don't have an option to install without SQL express. Is there anyway I can install on other 3 PCs without SQL express? 

When I choose custom, it only allows to specify different locations for SQL express, neither choise to or not to install it

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author xp2k2k3
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Install ACT 2009 without SQL Express

Missed the fact that you're installing ACT! 2009. Because of the version of SQL that ACT! 2009 uses you likely don't have the option of not installing SQL Express. My suggestion would be that you upgrade to ACT! 16, expecially if you're concerned about overall performance.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

If you're sharing the databse from a server then SQL is required on the server machine but not the separate workstations. However performance may suffer if SQL isn't installed on the local machine. SQL may already be installed on the workstations and what is being installed is the ACT! instance of the SQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

So how do I install ACT 2009 without SQL express? I don't have the option to install without it. Or is it just manual removal of SQL express, is it ok to do that after ACT installation? 

I care much about performance of computers as a whole , not performance of ACT. I can't allow SQL consuming CPU and memory on background that much

Solution
Accepted by topic author xp2k2k3
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Missed the fact that you're installing ACT! 2009. Because of the version of SQL that ACT! 2009 uses you likely don't have the option of not installing SQL Express. My suggestion would be that you upgrade to ACT! 16, expecially if you're concerned about overall performance.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You're kidding !!!! omg