Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Input: Specify Merge Options

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Input: Specify Merge Options

[ Edited ]

I am trying to figure out how to update currently existing records with new data using the import function.  My results so far are either my ending up with new records or not merging the new field data into the existing records.

I'm trying to import Companies and maybe I'm not using the correct key field.  I am assuming the company name is the field the import function looks at when determining if a record is a match...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Alex

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexlimbert
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Input: Specify Merge Options

Alex,
The fields that determine if a record is duplicate are the ones that choose in the duplicate checking settings (Tools > Preferences > Admin tab > Duplicate Checking). If you are importing in Company records, then choose the Company fields option from the dropdown, then choose the field or fields that determine if a record is a duplicate. If you choose more than one field, then they records must match exactly on all or both of those fields. When doing the import, for the Company Merge options, choose the "Merge" option on the right if you are filling in empty fields; choose "Replace with source", if you are replacing existing data. Be sure to backup your ACT! database prior to the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Alex,
Which version of ACT!, including the Hot Fix number, are you using (from "About ACT!" under the Help menu)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 1 .

I don't see any import related fixes.  I am starting to get convinced the field that determines the match is NOT the Company Name field.  I just tried to import new records with totally different Company Name fields and none were imported.  Hmmmmm.

Bronze Super Contributor

You might want to explore looking at a product like Oak Merge if you are planning on needing recurring imports...

Copper Contributor

Thanks, but doesn't the ACT! import function allow you to update records with new information?

Solution
Accepted by topic author alexlimbert
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Alex,
The fields that determine if a record is duplicate are the ones that choose in the duplicate checking settings (Tools > Preferences > Admin tab > Duplicate Checking). If you are importing in Company records, then choose the Company fields option from the dropdown, then choose the field or fields that determine if a record is a duplicate. If you choose more than one field, then they records must match exactly on all or both of those fields. When doing the import, for the Company Merge options, choose the "Merge" option on the right if you are filling in empty fields; choose "Replace with source", if you are replacing existing data. Be sure to backup your ACT! database prior to the import.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Great Greig.  Thank you very much!

Sorry, one correction - in the Company Merge options, choose "Merge" or "Replace with source" on the left side (not the right).

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Thank you Greig.  Smiley Happy