Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Initial ACT for Palm OS sync

jms

Initial ACT for Palm OS sync

I had to reimage my desktop and lost my most current backup of my ACT database.  I reinstalled ACT 2007 and ACT for Palm OS 2.0.  I have an old version of my database.  My Palm has a 1088 contacts and all my current calendar entries.  My desktop has 928 contacts and the calendar is not up to date.  The first sync after reinstalling ACT for Palm OS must be a "Desktop overwrites handheld".  Will it delete the additional contacts and calendar entries on my Palm if I sync?
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Initial ACT for Palm OS sync

Pretty sure it will wipe everything as it thinks it needs to install the act 4 palm apps, etc.

You could back up your palm to your sd card (nvbackup??) - do the install - then restore your palm from the backup - and then try a regular sync.

Wouldn't hold my breath, but it might work.

jms

I backed up the palm to the sd card and synced the desktop to the palm.  The desktop over-wrote the palm and i had 928 contacts on the  palm in Act.  I restored the ACT databases from the sd card and got the 1088 contacts back on the palm.  I changed the sync action from 'desktop overwrites handheld' to 'synchronize'.  I synced again but the contacts on the handheld did not update the desktop database.  The calendar entries did not get updated on the desktop either.

I am also getting the following error in the hotsync log.  I don't know if it is related.

ERROR: The following file(s) could not be installed to the SecureDigital (SD) Card because there is no application on your handheld to open these files. If you have recently installed such an application, please run that application and then perform a HotSync operation.
contacts.aba
Install To Card synchronization failed

Copper Super Contributor

hmm, maybe backup the ACT database and set the palm to overwrite the pc?  It's gotta have something to do with the timestamp on the records on the palm.

Not sure - make backups first.

jms

There is no option for palm overwrites desktop..  The only options are synchronize, desktop overwrites handheld, or do nothing.  I entered a new contact on the palm and did a hotsync and it was updated on the desktop.  It must do the sync updates from a log of changes.  When I restore the databases from the sd card, there are no changes in the log so they never get updated on the desktop.

Thanks for your help!!