Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

InfoWorld Article: Not a class Act!

Copper Contributor

InfoWorld Article: Not a class Act!

Ed Foster published a Gripe Line article yesterday in InfoWorld, entitled "Not a class Act!".

http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/03/not_a_class_act.html?source=NLC-GRIPE&cgd=2008-03-18

The InfoWorld article points to this website:

http://www.mysoftwaresettlement.com/index.htm

which the article states is "a settlement by Sage in a class action lawsuit over defects in Act! 2005."
Champion Listener

Re: InfoWorld Article: Not a class Act!

Posts such as this create an interesting dilemma for me.  On the one hand, I want to allow free and open discussion between ACT customers and Sage staff.   On the other hand  I can't help feeling that posts about law suits and related matters to this site are in slightly bad taste.  As I've mentioned in recent blogs, my focus is on looking forward, and creating a great experience for ACT! customers, so my natural preference is for conversations to be working towards that.  In that context, these types of posts are at best, distracting. 

I think I've proven that while I'm sensitive to the past, I can only change the future.

Tell me what you think?  Do you want this on-line community to be a one stop thing for all ACT! discussions? - or limited to conversations that move us forward.

Dave
Copper Contributor

Dave,

My post was certainly not intended to be in bad taste, and I would like to point out that I made no attempt to assert any personal opinion about this matter.

Furthermore, I provided only the most brief quotation from the article, to provide a bit of content for my post.

I had previously searched to see if any information about this article had been posted, and did not find any.

I took the approach that this was newsworthy since it appeared in well-respected InfoWorld, and tried to present my posting in that context.

I would also point out that any legal settlement of a class action matter is no doubt well within the definition of "public domain", and attempting to suppress such information on these Boards would seem of limited utility.

In terms of your larger question of "changing the future", I use ACT as a personal productivity / contact management tool, and even though I am an I.T. professional, I seek the simplest, fastest, and most reliable tools to meet my functional requirements. The article touches on some of these issues. Personally, I think ACT could again be a big-seller if there was a bifurcation of the software code base, back to version 6, implemented specifically for fast in-memory processing, to provide the personal productivity, contact management, and SFA needs of millions of people today.

- Tony
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's also important to note that this relates to a version that is 3 versions old.

I think most people would agree that ACT! 7.0 was one of two versions (along with 3.0) that, in hindsight, should not have been released.

Both suffered from the same issues related to being complete re-writes to take advantage of new Microsoft technologies that were untested themselves as well as both being the first version after a change of ownership of the product.

I think it's good to allow these posts as long as they are done politely and it allows Sage staff or other users to explain that (especially in this case) it's just history and not a problem for new users.
Avid Listener

After some reflection, I decided to participate in this thread. Dave wrote: "while I'm sensitive to the past, I can only change the future. Tell me what you think? Do you want this on-line community to be a one stop thing for all ACT! discussions? - or limited to conversations that move us forward." I am troubled by Dave's question-begging response regarding "conversations that move us forward". This attempt at turning the tables and putting the questioner on the defensive has become an all-too-common technique for public figures to avoid discussing or taking responsibility for issues, problems or even wrongdoing, and I do not think implicitly characterizing the original post as "not moving us forward" is helpful. If a classical historian responded to the question, "What led to the fall of the Roman Empire?", by saying "Let's move forward, rather than talk about the past, which I cannot change", it would not be satisfying or helpful. Nor would it be helpful to say, "Gee, I am really sorry the Roman Empire fell, and I take complete responsibility." I believe Dave could respond by saying something like "we are taking steps to address the issues covered by the settlement, by doing X, Y and Z so that such-and-such doesn't occur again". This sort of response would address both the past and the future, without belittling and dismissing the original post.

Torrey, I don't think Dave was just referring to the original post, but asking about it more generally - I hope I'm not putting unintended words in his mouth.

I think you'd agree that none of us would want or would benefit from large numbers of "bash the product" or "bash the company" type posts. It is more likely to reduce the desire for Sage staff and others to help users here.

But once you make that determination, and remembering that this is a company owned forum and therefore not really subject to free speech as such, it then becomes a question of where the line is drawn.

At least David is open enough to ask the question here and in his blog to gauge the desires of the community before making his decision.
Avid Listener

[ Edited ]
I take your comments, Mike, and I certainly do not enjoy the many "I hate ACT" types of posts; they may make the poster feel a little better, but, for the most part, they don't move things forward. Also, to fully disclose, I use ACT 10 to maintain an active database of 2,600 contacts and have had almost no problems with it. (I do wish I could store the database on a network drive so my assistant can access it, but that's another thread.)

I guess I was struck by the fact that Dave replied to the original post in this thread -- thereby raising the thread's profile, it seems to me -- and, having considered your comments [and I consider YOU a class act for your very frequent and helpful comments in this forum]), I still feel Dave was too harsh on the poster and did not address the substance of the issue.

Finally, regarding this forum: it is true that ACT can be very frustrating for users and frequently problematic or difficult for many others, but this forum is a wonderful, helpful resource where questions that have an answer are almost always answered (usually by users such as yourself).

Message Edited by Torrey on 03-19-2008 02:49 PM

Torrey wrote:
I take your comments, Mike, and I certainly do not enjoy the many "I hate ACT" types of posts; they may make the poster feel a little better, but, for the most part, they don't move things forward. Also, to fully disclose, I use ACT 10 to maintain an active database of 2,600 contacts and have had almost no problems with it. (I do wish I could store the database on a network drive so my assistant can access it, but that's another thread.)

You can, but you need ACT! installed on the server
I guess I was struck by the fact that Dave replied to the original post in this thread -- thereby raising the thread's profile, it seems to me -- and, having considered your comments [and I consider YOU a class act for your very frequent and helpful comments in this forum]), I still feel Dave was too harsh on the poster and did not address the substance of the issue.
I think this is more a case of the issue with posts and emails... it's harder to hear or see the tones that give a better indication of the intent :-)

Avid Listener

Also, the InfoWorld article makes several points that Dave could respond to -- in particular, why is there a new version virtually every year, without any significant point releases (beyond, say, 10.01, e.g.) and with only fairly minor cosmetic changes? Why no mid-year corrections? Why the bloatware -- how many people really use or want the Dashboard? None of these points in the article focuses on the class action suit; they are questions, stated in a sober manner, by a very frustrated long-time user.

I've been using ACT on and off since -- when was it -- 1988, with the gray cloth-covered user manual? I've bought six separate versions, through costly upgrades, looking for the holy grail of CRM. Well, as I said, I'm okay with it now, but I do understand the frustrations so many users have.
Avid Listener

Mike, you're wearing me out!

I can only install ACT on the server if I get the costly Premium version, right? I'm kind of a small potato, and can't justify acquiring two copies of ACT Premium -- which may be another thing Dave can discuss. (Pardon the OT!)