Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Indexing to a certain record number

Indexing to a certain record number

If I have like 3000 records in Contacts, and I need to go through each one to see if I want to keep or delete it, it'll take a long time. It'd be nice to be able to do some and then come back the next day and do more, etc.

However, if I close ACT and reopen it, I'd need to get back to, say, record number 1053 and start from where I left off and it'd take forever to step through a bazillion contacts to get to the right place. I don't see any "go to record" command anywhere. And if I do a lookup on the record on which I left off, the lookup has just that one record. How can I index back into a long lookup?

TIA! 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Indexing to a certain record number

How about adding a Checkbox field for checked to keep.

Then, do a Lookup on that field for empty when you want to continue

I thought of that, but to do that, I'd have to poke at each entry and that would take forever to do them one by one. I wanted to just scan the entry and go to the next one, much faster if I don't have to change each record. ACT is pretty slow on my laptop.

However, in the meantime, to solve the nearterm problem I exported to CSV, slurped it into Excel, did my deletes (much faster) and then I'll export it to CSV again, then slurp it back into ACT. It was much faster to scan the column of zip codes, for instance, looking for any that were not 5 digits. That would take a lot longer in ACT.

But for future reference, I'd like to find out if there's a "GOTO RECORD" in ACT. There really needs to be if people are going to use it for large databases and lookups. 

The problem with a "goto record" is that this will change based on the lookup and sort order or if you add a contact that would be earlier in the list.

Another option would be to get one of the add-ons that can auto-number a field for the records in the database... then, you can do a Lookup where that field is greater than where you left off.

The problem with a "goto record" is that this will change based on the lookup and sort order or if you add a contact that would be earlier in the list.

Not a problem here with a static database - the only changes would be record deletions.

Another option would be to get one of the add-ons that can auto-number a field for the records in the database... then, you can do a Lookup where that field is greater than where you left off.

There you go talking about more $ again. :-) This is a pretty simple thing to program, I'm just surprised and disappointed that ACT is unable to do it as-is. I guess if I need it in the future, I'll just do my detour through Excel path.

Thanks!

Most users don't have a static database...

You could also open the database from Excel using the OLEDB... then scan Excel and jump to ACT! to delete records as you need.

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3hrarx

Most users don't have a static database... 

Yes, I agree, this isn't really either. But if anybody has the weeding that I'd have to do, it'd be "temporarily static". :-) 

Re: OLEdb

Interesting, I didn't know about that. But it doesn't look like it works in Open Office Calc, it's got a lot of objects, but ACT isn't one of them. :-(

I thought you said you used Excel?

Sorry, I don't know enough about Open Office to know if it can access the ACT! OLEDB

Yes, I *said* Excel, but it's really the Open Office equivalent which does most of the same stuff, but apparently not everything. I'll have to dig out my old copy of Excel and see if it works sometime.