Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Including Notes with the initial upload of records

Including Notes with the initial upload of records

I am experiencing difficulty in uploading Notes (from an Excel file) during the initial Load of records into Act.  Some notes do load, but most do not during the update process.  All other fields load properly (ncluding User Fields) but the Notes are not being recognized from the Mapping process.  Is there a mapping or upload step that I am missing?  Any suggestion is welcomed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Including Notes with the initial upload of records

Act version is 2006;  I have 2 Excel columns identified as note fields. 
Nickel Elite Contributor

I think there is a bit of syntactic (if that's a word) differences here.  Are you trying to import a Note field, or actual ACT! Notes?  I'm sure there are AddOns that will do this, but just out of the box importing Notes is not possible... 
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

I think there is a bit of syntactic (if that's a word) differences here.  Are you trying to import a Note field, or actual ACT! Notes?  I'm sure there are AddOns that will do this, but just out of the box importing Notes is not possible... 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
rbrDataSolutions@gmail.com

Richard

I am using an Excel File with 2 columns labeled Note 1 & Note 2.  Then in the IMPORT process, I have mapped those 2 Note fields from the Excel file to be imported (matched) to the "Add Act Notes" field in Act.  During this same Import Process, all other Excel Fields have been mapped simiilarly to designated Act fields (inclusive of User Fields) and have all successfully been imported.  The Note1 and Note 2 fields from the Excel file are the only fields not successfully loaded.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Pretty sure the import to Notes only works with ONE field. Try only assigning one column to the Notes and see it that works.

Also, as it's importing as CSV, if the Note field has commas or quotes, it can throw out the data

Platinum Super Contributor

This article has instructions for cleaning up the data you are importing.  If it contains special characters it will fail to import: importing Outlook notes into Act!

Greg Martin
Sage