Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Improve Bandwidth on ACT! Version 12

Improve Bandwidth on ACT! Version 12

Hello

Just wondering if anyone can let me know how to reduce the amount of bandwidth ACT! uses?  I have been guided to this document http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11910/kw/slow/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMzE1NjY0M...
but it is for an earlier version and I am unable to follow the instructions - is someone able to update me on how to do it on the current version? 

I am trying this in an attempt to speed ACT! up as it loads very slowly making the software very slow and awkward to use - I have tried a few things such as adding the database and operating files to the exclusions list in our ESET NOD32 Antivirus software and this has helped a bit but is still awkward to use.  I you have any other suggestions I could try I would be grateful - we have a license for 3 users and we all use it off a PC not a server - we use Windows XP software.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Improve Bandwidth on ACT! Version 12

Slow loading is unlikely to be a bandwidth issue ... with the SQL engine, it's more likely to the the hard drive speed on the database host or the amount of RAM
Bronze Super Contributor

How much RAM is in all of the PCs that are running ACT!?

Are you saying that you are sharing the database from one XP PC to the other two or that all users are using their own databases installed locally?

Thanks for responding - will have to check up to the RAM on the PCs and let you know.  We obviously each have ACT! software installed on our PCs individually and share the database if that makes sense!?

Be glad of your thoughts - at the moment ACT! is a bit of a nightmare to use as it is so slow and awkward so will be glad of any suggestions.

Many thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

Well, if you are using Win XP, I am guessing that your systems are somewhat older...

ACT! runs really well on "modern" systems - i.e. - pretty much anything made within the last 3 years or so (unless of course you are dealing with a MASSIVE database, which means you need more "juice").

RAM is very important.  On a system with just 1GB, it is going to be hindered...

Even vore important is the hard drive RPM. an older system and most laptops have 5400 RPM drives and they will be slow. If the RAM is limited it would be even slower.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

RAM is an easy upgrade.

Hard-drives, not so much.

I have 1.87GB of RAM on this PC - is likely to be the problem?  would be grateful if you could direct me in the right direction for upgrading this if it is.  Also be glad of any other suggestions to solve the issue.

Many thanks

I normally consider 2GB to be minimum ... maybe 4GB on the one hosting the database.

Also the drive speed is very important to SQL databases (as Roy indicated)

Ok - thanks Mike - not too savvy with PCs but 2.60GHz be the drive speed??  sorry not 100% sure where to find that info.

Conclusion = ACT! operating slow due to insufficient RAM?  is this the case? or are there any other measures you would recommend to try and improve it?

Regards