Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing updated contacts over old contacts and keeping notes, etc

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing updated contacts over old contacts and keeping notes, etc

We are required by the the US Postael Service to cass certify our addresses every 6 month.  My questions is, how do I import the "updated" addresses back into Act! without over writing notes and attachments.  In other words, I need to update the addresses but keep all the extra items about that contact intact.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jarleyhorse
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Importing updated contacts over old contacts and keeping notes, etc

ITImport is a good product but it is not necessary for what you want to do. You can do the merge with ACT! without any additional importing software addon.

The main thing is to ensure that you have a backup of your database prior to doing the merge and that you have proven to your satisfaction that that backup is able to be restored. At that point you can safely proceed.

My suggestion is that you purchase a software utility that will apply a unique number to all the records prior to doing the import. There are two reputable companies that can supply you this, www.tnhg.com , Account number generator at US$59.00 or www.exponenciel.com , Auto Number for ACT! Records at a similar price. You are than able to uniquely identify all records using one of the spare ACT! fields such as User 1. you will find either of these utilities a good investment for other uses in ACT! in the future and they work across multiple versions of ACT! 2005 and beyond, unlike some import products that require you to upgrade for each version of ACT! 

When you setup your import you use this field as the unque identifier. This provides a more reliable import process. I suggest that you have an ACT! Certified Consultant show you the procedure than you will be able to do it with confidence yourself without need for expensive importing addons. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Using ACT!'s standard import might do that as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4c8t5v

It will keep notes, attachments if the duplicate settings are correct... BUT - it replaces the entire contact record, so you will lose other field data.

If you just want to over write the fields from the Postal Service and leave everything else intact, you should look at the Basic version of itImport

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your help Act! Evangalist.  Because of my "Act! knowledge limitations" I am more confused than ever.  I tried your suggestions but got so confused that I had to quit.  In any case, is it possible to call or better yet connect with someone that can help?  We have over 25,000 contacts that we are dealing with and if we make a mistake it may be impossible to know it.

Message Edited by jarleyhorse on 10-10-2008 08:40 AM

Solution
Accepted by topic author jarleyhorse
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

ITImport is a good product but it is not necessary for what you want to do. You can do the merge with ACT! without any additional importing software addon.

The main thing is to ensure that you have a backup of your database prior to doing the merge and that you have proven to your satisfaction that that backup is able to be restored. At that point you can safely proceed.

My suggestion is that you purchase a software utility that will apply a unique number to all the records prior to doing the import. There are two reputable companies that can supply you this, www.tnhg.com , Account number generator at US$59.00 or www.exponenciel.com , Auto Number for ACT! Records at a similar price. You are than able to uniquely identify all records using one of the spare ACT! fields such as User 1. you will find either of these utilities a good investment for other uses in ACT! in the future and they work across multiple versions of ACT! 2005 and beyond, unlike some import products that require you to upgrade for each version of ACT! 

When you setup your import you use this field as the unque identifier. This provides a more reliable import process. I suggest that you have an ACT! Certified Consultant show you the procedure than you will be able to do it with confidence yourself without need for expensive importing addons. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thank you.  I was looking for a numbering add-on but wasn't able to find one, until you send me your website addresses.  Also, I did receive help from a Act! Software tech.  He showed me how to match the fields, using the the import feature within Act!. Adding the numbering system will be a big help.  Thank you again.
Copper Super Contributor

http://www.asdscomputer.com/products/mergeadmin2008/

is amazing and works well for us with these scenarios

Andy

Andy Kent
Angel Solutions (UK and NZ)
www.angelsolutions.co.uk

[ Edited ]

MergeAdmin is not a bad product, but is more expensive than itImport for those functions and doesn't do as much as the Advanced and Pro versions of itImport

It also includes a numbering utility, so data can be exported, modified and merged back in.

One of the functions I like in the Pro version is the ability to check the data and not over write the field if the data is the same... this makes a big difference if yncing to remote ACT! users or PDAs or if using the Edit Date field to see records that haven't changed

Message Edited by GLComputing on 10-13-2008 07:10 PM

I have successfully purchased and used the Account Number Generator to put an ID number on all my database records. I exported that ID along with name and address information to run it through National Change of Address (NCOA). Now I want to import that updated information back into the database and cannot find anywhere in the import process or elsewhere in the software how to tell ACT! that the ID number is the "unique identifier". Could you please tell me how to do this?

Unfortunately, ACT!'s import can't update fields. It can only replace the records.

If replacing all the fields for each record, you can set the Duplicate checking in Tools | Preferences.

To merge and just update specific fields, you would need something like itImport