Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing to Companies

Importing to Companies

I have ACT for Workgroups 2009.  I have tried various ways to import from a .cvs and .txt file into ACT, into companies but I keep coming up with the same problem.  Each imported company shows up as a weird string of alpha-numeric stuff (i.e. Imported Company 180a90ff-0119-4e5b-9640-231a13a0ab27).  If I create a Company before I import, the import wizard does not recognize it and creates a new Company (so then I have two).  I already checked the import wizard to make sure I have it set to replace existing or create a new record. 

The other odd thing about it is, when mapping the fields, I some of the fields are not available to map to, one of them being "Company".  PLEASE HELP!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing to Companies

Yes I do have a field titled Plan Name, which when I try to map that during the import wizard, Company is not an option (even though Company is a field in the company layout), however I have another field available, which is Plan Name.  I map it over, and it still populates the Company field with an odd alpha-numeric entry.

Also one correction from my last entry, I am currently using Premium for Workgroups 2007.  We will soon be upgrading to 2009.

Thanks.

No luck!  I already have a field titled Company, so I changed the Plan Name to Companies. 

I was told at one point that the import is not recognizing that there is a Company for that particular data, so if I tried to create the Company and then import to it, it may work.

I tried that too.  No luck, and it just duplicates the company by creating another one.

Is there something I could change in the Preferences, under Duplication Checking.  Right now I have it set as match on "Plan ID" (which is unique to each Company) and that is it.

Also in my Define Fields, I have Plan Name (which is the same as Company) set as a Primary Field - Copy this field when duplicating the record.  Company is set up the same way.

Your thoughts?

Company records did not allow duplicates in ACT! 2007. It will only use a "Company" field (must be named that way) - Not "Companies"

This is also whey there is not duplicate checking... it only uses that field and will put the GUID (those characters you see) if it creates a company without the name.

Here is a bit more information to give a a better picture.

The file of company data comes into a secure ftp site.  From there I save it as a txt file.  Then when I open it as a txt file, each line of company data is separated by a blank space (inbetween each new line of company data).  This is opposed to the view I am seeing on the ftp site, where there are no spaces inbetween each stran of company data.  Does that make a difference?

Each field is surrounded by quotation marks and separated from other fields by commas.  The file does not come with a heading line at the top, so I add one, but I do not check the box on the import wizard, so it does not import the first row of data (which is the heading line).

The file is clean.  It is the exact same format as another file we get that I import as contact data, on a daily basis.  The only difference is the information.  The biggest hurdle I am having is that when I go to import the company data, in the import wizard, when I want to select the field to map the data to, I don't have the Company option to select.  This is all pertaining to the new database I am setting up.

I have a main database that we have been using for a long time.  I was just comparing those databases with the regular import we do for contact data.  I did  notice something.  In the old main database I have the ability to select Plan Name as a map field.  In the new database I do not have the ability to select the Plan Name field as a map field.  Do you know why I may have that ability in one database but not in another?

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the tip. That solved my problem importing companies into Act 2008.