Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing from Excel to ACT

Importing from Excel to ACT

I am trying to import "process lists" into ACT 2007 for Workgroups from Excel and keep getting errors.  I am using the .csv and only using the four column labels.  Can anyone help me as to what I am doing wrong? 
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Importing from Excel to ACT

Does your excel column names match the one with act
do you have any special characters in any of the field
Copper Contributor

Also try looking at your import file in something other than excel. Excel can hide characters from you that might be throwing ACT out of whack. Workpad/notepad are always good.

I have found that ACT sometimes likes each piece of data enclosed in double quotes as well. e.g, each line should look like:
"datum1","datum2","datum3","datum4"
BTW, excel will hide the double quotes and commas from you, making it hard to check.
Ben Leong
Certified ACT! Consultant
www.accentgold.com
Copper Contributor

Hi

You might like to have a look at itImport (from CRM Addon), or Inaport for ACT (from us).

Inaport will pull data from any ODBC data source (including Excel 2003/2007),  transform it, and let you write to any table or combination of tables in ACT!, with simple or complex matching criteria to ensure you do not create duplicates.

InaPlex is a Sage Endorsed Development Partner, and has been working with the Sage CRM solutions family for years.

Any questions, please ask. You can download a free evaluation from our web site.

Regards

David Evans

Do you mean - or +?  Yes I do have those.  Do I need to remove them in the Description area?

Each word has to be encased with " " or each line.  How long can the column width be?
Copper Contributor

Hi David,
Please have a look at your Private Message inbox..located in the upper right of the page and looking like http://community.act.com/i/skins/default/icon_notes_mail_blink.gif.   Thanks  Smiley Happy
Platinum Elite Contributor

A quick tip is to enter a couple of items manually and export them. Then compare this with the file you're trying to import.

You'll usually see the difference

dear all,

i just browsed through the previous postings regarding "importing data from excel to act". we had some serious problems after we used just our exisiting version of act for importing lots of data from excel.

lots of our database got mixed up and the fact that you recommend additional software for import/merge of data into act tells me that act alone can´t guarantuee an datatransfer which is 100% correct! is that right??!

i would highly appreciate your help on that matter!

thanks in advance! alex

Platinum Elite Contributor

alexxh wrote:

dear all,

i just browsed through the previous postings regarding "importing data from excel to act". we had some serious problems after we used just our exisiting version of act for importing lots of data from excel.

lots of our database got mixed up and the fact that you recommend additional software for import/merge of data into act tells me that act alone can´t guarantuee an datatransfer which is 100% correct! is that right??!

i would highly appreciate your help on that matter!

thanks in advance! alex

No, not at all.

itImport is if you want the data to go into sub-tables, to be merged or to be regularly automated

It's always recommended to backup the database before doing imports in-case you haven't set up the import correctly