Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing from Excel not a listed option

Importing from Excel not a listed option

I have Act! Pro Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3 and want to import an Excel file but it is not an option in the list of file types. My Excel is Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016. Thanks!

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Importing from Excel not a listed option

Are you able to perform any other interaction with Office on that PC like export to Excel or open a template?

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Administrator

It may be worth running an "Office Repair" from Programs and Features too - this often rebuilds files that are required for the integration between the two programs.

As a quick, temporary fix - you should be able to save the file as a ".csv" in excel, and then do an import from that.

Sorry for the delayed response! I do have some other interaction with Office but not through Act.

I did try the Office Repair and no change. I will try to export the .csv. Thanks!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Importing from Excel not a listed option> XLS not supported

You can save the XLS as a CSV and import as a text delimited file using ACT's import wizard. 

Note, this may be related to the XLS issue  In the support blog for the import export utility,  OAK!Merge, we wrote a post about XLS ERROR in OAK!Merge:   "Error while connecting to an import source.  Unexpected error from external database driver(1)."  This OAK!Merge Error was an  issue caused by a security update by Microsoft.  Microsoft is blocking the use of XLS files.  XLS  were last used in Excel 2003.  The current format is XLSX files. 

We had to write our own software driver to support the older XLS format.  We released that in OAK!Merger v20.1.2.  The Microsoft supplied XLS drivers no longer work.  This may be the ACT issue too.

Alan Lee,  1st ACC and still standing 

www.OAKMerge.com