Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing from Excel not Managing Duplicates Properly

Importing from Excel not Managing Duplicates Properly

I am importing from Excel and I have also tries .csv to Act Pro Vs 17.  Many of my contcats are the same but I have data is fields in the source file and they are mapped and the corresponding fields in ACT! are blank.  My understanding is that with the merge and the Source overwrites options, at the very least my blank fields would be populated.  Every time, without fail, I get new records added to ACT!

I have seen lots if posts and only apparent resolutions are an up to date vs of ACT! which is what I have.

My ACT! database has over 4,000, I saw some references to larger databases not coping but I am not sure what constitues large.

Any help much appreciated as I am migrating from another system to ACT! and I have 3,500 other records to merge.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing from Excel not Managing Duplicates Properly

If you are doing frequent import/merges from Excel or some other third party source, you need to use a utility like OakMerge. In addition to being more comprehensive than the ACT! import capability, it also provides a results log of anything that failed the import.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy and Thanks.

I am trying to understand why I need a third party product.  It seems to me it is a bug in ACT! and reviewing comments not something that has been resolved.  Am I missing something, is what I am doing overly complicated.

Thnaks in advance

Naomi

Platinum Elite Contributor

The large import would be complicated. The ACT! import is adequate for importing an initial list to setup a database or to merge two ACT! databases but it's features are limited. OakMerge is very comprehensive and is better for doing update merges to a database especially where you want to update existing data in fields.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy,

Much appreciated.