Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing from Excel - WEIRD?

Skilled Commentator

Importing from Excel - WEIRD?

Hey Community,

I wanted to import a Office Excel Sheet of a list of a list of around 400 Attorneys.

So, I clicked File > Import... > Next > Microsoft Excel (specifying the file and location) > "Contact Record" Next > Import > Finish

After a bit of loading, I viewed the entire contact list by Import date. I looked at the most recent, and barely any of them even imported! Maybe a dozen out of 400?

What is going on? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

David

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing from Excel - WEIRD?

Hello David,
Did you choose the Typical or Custom import option? I would use Custom so you can see the field mapping and look at the Contact Merge Options (make sure right-hand side set to "Add"). Also check your Duplicate Checking settings under your preferences.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Skilled Commentator

What are the risks in merging imported contacts with currently-existing contacts? 

I tried using "Custom" but was not sure if I should merge contacts for fear of losing data.

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Platinum Elite Contributor

There is always the risk of duplication if the the source contact already exists in the database and is not matched as a duplicate in your database. See this Knowledgebase article for more on importing, duplicate checking, and merging:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2682...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.