Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing from CSV to Yes/No field. Selecting Replace with Source deletes contents of unmapped fields. 2009 (11)

stl

Importing from CSV to Yes/No field. Selecting Replace with Source deletes contents of unmapped fields. 2009 (11)

[ Edited ]

I have data in a csv file (exported from our website). Each row contains an email address, lots of yes/no fields (1 for yes and 0 for no) and a couple of text fields.

I am trying to import this data into ACT 2009 (11), using one test record for trial purposes. I have set duplicate checking preferences to match on email address.

When importing, if I select 'Merge' then the text fields (previously empty) populate but the yes/no tick boxes don't. From research on these boards, I see that is because they already contain data (0). From another post on here I see that I should select 'Replace with source contact' rather than 'Merge'.

This adds the data from the CSV to ACT, however it deletes data in other ACT fields (address etc). I have mapped the data in the csv to fields in ACT. I expected only the fields that have been mapped to be affected. The CSV file does not contain all the fields that are in ACT.

Is there any way I can import this data to yes/no tickboxes without losing data from unmapped fields please?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing from CSV to Yes/No field. Selecting Replace with Source deletes contents of unmapped fields. 2009 (11)

Because they already have data, the only way to bring the fields in is with an add-on product such as itImport http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1
stl

Re: Importing from CSV to Yes/No field. Selecting Replace with Source deletes contents of unmapped fields. 2009 (11)

Thanks for your help, but this procedure isn't often required so unless there's a way to import just using ACT, we'll have to input the data manually.
Bronze Super Contributor

a perhaps longer way of doing it is to import the yes/no field to one of the userfields (USER1, USER2...USER10...etc)

then do a look up of USER1 = "1" or "YES" (depending on what you have in your .csv file).

Then doing and EDIT | REPLACE on the correct yes/no field.

You'll need to repeat the process for each yes/no field but that might do the job for you.

Ben.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hello Stl,

Ben make's a great suggestion, that will work for you.

Also there are other prodcuts that do what you want other then IT import, take a look at the link below, where you can not only find import tools but other usefull tools for ACT! I think you can get Oak merge for $149.00

Some of them also have free trails and depending on how many contacts your trying to import, they may do the trick for you for free.

If they don't just follow Ben's suggestion and you should be able to get the data in.

http://tinyurl.com/3yanf6j

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005