Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing data into ACT!

Importing data into ACT!

Dear All

I am importing data into a new ACT database. I have successfully imported the contact records however the import has not transferred my notes/histories. I have had this problem before and avoided it but this i need the data. What am i doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon 

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Importing data into ACT!

What is the source data for your import?
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Im just copying another ACT database (contact records) V6.0 into same version. My problem is that the notes/histories have not come with the contacts.

Simon 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you copy on the DBF file or all 26 database files?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am having the similar issue - I have all my notes and contacts but my task list is not showing - I do show my activites under the individual customer.  I believe it could have something to do with my user.  I am signing in the same way I always have prior to the import.
Copper Super Contributor

It will help us a lot if you describe the procedures you used, the terms import and copy mean very different things.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

I now found my task list under a different user sine in.  Any idea how to move the task list between users?

When i took a copy of another act database the pc copied two main files (files with the ACT logo in explorer) along with many other smaller files such as dll etc In total around 140 files. 14 Of those are whole folders such as briefcase, email etc. When I impoted this ACT on only chose the the Contacts folder (with the ACT logo as the icon) and the 'whole of act' which again has the ACT logo as the icon. Should I be installing/importing all the files i see?

[ Edited ]
One thing that has just occured to me. When we copied the existing database we just copied the files through explorer onto a CD. Should I have used ACT to do this in terms of making a copy of the database and then using the export function to export that database to a disc?
Message Edited by benson on 11-07-2008 07:24 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Using ACT's internal back up and restore routines is the recommended way to move or transfer a database. In V.6 it was possible to copy the folder where the database resides to another location and open it natively in ACT. The "database name" folder will have approximately 26 individual files.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA