Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing data in Act using a key field other than Contact, Company or Group

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing data in Act using a key field other than Contact, Company or Group

Hi,

I am trying to import data from a text file into Company records however I do not have the Company names in such text file.

However I have another field that is in both the text file and Act.

I would like to use such field as the common key to import data into Act.

Is it possible to choose in Act another field than the Company field as a key to import data?

I have been able to do it with contact records through enabling the check duplicate option (I could choose the field to use as a key to import). In such case the Contact field did not need to be present in my text file and my data were imported with the field that I defined as key field field.

Thank you for your help,

Roch

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rocky4539
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing data in Act using a key field other than Contact, Company or Group

[ Edited ]
For Companies and Groups, the name of the entity is the key identifier, so is therefore required for a successful import.  If you do an import and do not have a company name field, the record will come in with a name of "Imported Company" and a GUID number. This will occur even with the duplicate checking and merge options enabled.
Message Edited by ghollister on 09-18-2008 11:17 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rocky4539
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Importing data in Act using a key field other than Contact, Company or Group

[ Edited ]
For Companies and Groups, the name of the entity is the key identifier, so is therefore required for a successful import.  If you do an import and do not have a company name field, the record will come in with a name of "Imported Company" and a GUID number. This will occur even with the duplicate checking and merge options enabled.
Message Edited by ghollister on 09-18-2008 11:17 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Company/Group names shouldn't be required... as you can have the same name as divisions/sub-groups in multiple parents since ACT! 2008.

But I don't know if the Wizard has caught up.

If you need it, you might try itImport, which I think has been updated so it doesn't require this.

While ACT! does allow you to use duplicate Company names, it is required that a Company record have a name.  If you import Company records without a Company name column, then ACT! will assign a value in that field.

The Company Name field is set as a required field and the option to allow the field name to be blank or to delete this field is grayed out in the Define Fields dialog box. I'm not sure if ItImport has the ability to override this or not.

Greig Hollister

Ahhhh yes, I was just looking at the "key" for matching.

I think if the field is blank, it puts in (I think) the GUID for the record - at least, it used to, so I assume still does.

If important to the original poster, I'll give it a try

Thank you for your clear answer.

Hence I need every time to have the Company field when I import data from the Company records even though I have another field that is in both my text folder and Act and could serve as a key to import data. The reason being if companies present in the text file but not in Act then Act will create a blank field for company name and associate an ID number to the company name.

Actually in my case it would not be to import new Companies from the text file into Act companies records but just to update already existing companies fields (in this case credit risk limits figures).

Roch

The ACT! import won't update existing Company fields. For that, you will need itImport - based on your information so far, you could get away with just the Basic edition