Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing data from GoldMine 6.7 Standard

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing data from GoldMine 6.7 Standard

Hello - I'm a GoldMine user for 10 plus years. Don't know all the bells and whistles, but most of the basics. Due to GoldMine no longer being supported and the new upgrade requirements my boss has decided to change to Act, which I have no experience with. I work remotely so I don't have an IT staff to go to with problems, so I thought I'd start here. The Act version I'm trying to get working is: ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3

I understand what I can import from GoldMine to Act is fairly limited, but I was hoping to at least get all the contacts and their details. So I have used export in GoldMine to an ASCII file for all contacts.  I have roughly 3700 contacts in my GoldMine database. When I use the export wizard the process monitor shows the 3700 contacts, and when I start the Text Delimited import wizard in Act, it shows considerably more than the 3700 than Goldmine shows. After I complete the mapping procedure (which I'm not sure I'm doing correctly) and start the import, the green status bar moves slowly for the 1st minute or so, then disappears and I go to the Act start screen. There are approximately 580 contact imported and there are no contact names. Company names yes, but not the contact names. Is there any place that explains step by step how to import? I'm not sure what the difference is between contact and company, and group import, and if I should be setting anything up in Act to accommodate the data from GoldMine. And I have no idea why I'm only getting under 600 of my 3700 contacts.

Any help in getting this Act novice started in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author steverino1997a
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Importing data from GoldMine 6.7 Standard

Welcome steverino.  You will find a lot of useful information on this board.  I would recommend strongly that you do a lot of searches.  I am not a technician, but you will see plenty of posts from some of the best consultants supporting ACT worldwide.  Don't let their home location be a concern as I've been saved on several occassions.  You will also want to search the Sage Knowledgebase:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/

Regarding your current project, I too moved from Goldmine.  The export should be pretty simple.  I'm thinking that there may be some problems with data you are exporting and delimeters are being picked up causing fewer companies to be added.

BTW, don't concern yourself with contacts and companies just yet.  I will tell you that companies address what GM did with the Org Chart.  I have some other posts about that on the board. 

Since you can also export to dbf, you might want to do that, open it in Excel and see what it looks like, then save it as ascii delimeted again. 

You do know that without an add-on program you will not be able to import history and notes.  My 2 cents on that:  it depends on how reliant your users really are on that information.  I found that just running a history report in GM and then copy and pasting it into notes, as needed, met most of my needs. 

You can expect to see other responses from folks who are much more technical than I.  Good luck, and I believe you will find ACT to meet your needs.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author steverino1997a
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Welcome steverino.  You will find a lot of useful information on this board.  I would recommend strongly that you do a lot of searches.  I am not a technician, but you will see plenty of posts from some of the best consultants supporting ACT worldwide.  Don't let their home location be a concern as I've been saved on several occassions.  You will also want to search the Sage Knowledgebase:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/

Regarding your current project, I too moved from Goldmine.  The export should be pretty simple.  I'm thinking that there may be some problems with data you are exporting and delimeters are being picked up causing fewer companies to be added.

BTW, don't concern yourself with contacts and companies just yet.  I will tell you that companies address what GM did with the Org Chart.  I have some other posts about that on the board. 

Since you can also export to dbf, you might want to do that, open it in Excel and see what it looks like, then save it as ascii delimeted again. 

You do know that without an add-on program you will not be able to import history and notes.  My 2 cents on that:  it depends on how reliant your users really are on that information.  I found that just running a history report in GM and then copy and pasting it into notes, as needed, met most of my needs. 

You can expect to see other responses from folks who are much more technical than I.  Good luck, and I believe you will find ACT to meet your needs.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

John -

Thanks for the tips. Now I have an idea what the "companies" function is. At 1st I thought there was a seperate import for the contacts and then companies, so I appreciate you clearing that up for me. Also thanks for the tip on importing the dbf into Excel. I didn't know that could be done. I did try to export my data from GoldMine into XML and open that up in Excel, but it kept coming up with an error. I'll get busy with your suggestions and keep researching this and will hopefully get my data successfully moved over from GoldMine.

Thank you,

Steve 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Steve -

One more thing to consider after you export from GM - move to excel - cleanup data - import into ACT!.  There is a program that a few ACT! Consultants have (myself included) that does this process for you.  If you start spending a lot of time on this process, you might want to look into having someone do it for you.  Not only will we get much more data (i.e. Notes) transferred over, it will save you a ton of time and headache.

Drop me a not if you want more info...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thanks Richard. I'll keep that in mind. I was hoping this would be an easy transition, but it hasn't worked out that way, at least so far. I appreciate the offer.

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor

Thank you Mike. I did download the trial and it worked great. Unfortunately I don't have the extra $$$ to spend on the software to be able to move all of the contact records. But I do appreciate the help and the software would have made the migration much quicker and with all the data.

Steve

John - thanks again for the help. I did export what I could out of GoldMine, opened in Excel, cleaned up what needed to be, saved to .txt, and imported into Act. The import went well with no problems and this time brought in all the records. And I'm using your advise on importing history as needed. I'll be using both Act and GoldMine for a while, but I have got a good start on the move out of GoldMine. I did try the Migrate program that another poster offered, which worked fast and imported all the data, I just can't afford to spend the extra money at this time.

Steve

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd add that I just converted from GM 6.7.  MigrateAdmin did the trick quite well after a very frustrating experience and wasted time and money [Edit: content removed]

Joe Virnig

RE/MAX Gold Coast REALTORS

joe@joevirnig.com

Message Edited by ghollister on 04-02-2010 03:58 PM

I found this old thread and well, it descirbes me today.  I'm a GM user since Windows 3.1 (ELAN), we are migrating to ACT Premium 2011 because as we all know, Windows 7 and GM 6.7 don't play well together at all... I just loaded ACT into my new Win 7 Pro machine to get it started up.  And first thing I need to do is bring in 3 different (GM 6.7) databases into one new Databasein ACT.   And of course, I must pull the files across our LAN from the old WIn XP machine where GM still runs. Any current resource on this process?  And any other better threads to search GM-to-ACT stuff?

Thanks,

DG

Goldmine Defector / ACT Newby