Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing contacts

lpg

Importing contacts

Hi - I am a new user trying to set up a database for our sales dept.  I have created a Group for each sales rep within our database. For example, for all of Lisa's contacts I have created a group named "Lisa" (I know - very original!!) My question is - how (if possible) can I import existing contacts from Outlook into a specific group in ACT?  I have 9 sales rep and have created a group for each one - how can I import each of their contacts into their specific group?  Thanks!!!! 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing contacts

If you log in as each user before doing their data import, the Record Manager field will be them. Then you can use Group Membership rules to automatically put contacts with the Record Manager of Lisa into the Group Lisa
lpg

Hi Mike - thanks for the info - this is making me crazy!!! This is what I did:

Created a Group "Lisa Goldwasser"

Record Manager "Lisa Goldwasser"

Logged out/ signed in as "Lisa Goldwasser" 

Imported a test contact from Outlook

Result:  Contact was imported but did not receive the group assignment

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Lisa

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have have a dynamic group criteria set up? 

Do your import

Go into the Group Details page

Select group "Lisa Goldwasser"

Click on "Add/remove contacts"

Click on "Edit Criteria" in the dynamic members window

Fill in the following:  Type-Contact Field Name-Record Creator  Operator-Equals  Value-Lisa Goldwasser

Click OK (That now becomes a rule of that group)

Click OK (your now back to group details window)

Your group should now contain all contacts created by Lisa Goldwasser

You can also set up the criteria for record manager as well.

Matt

Message Edited by mvpulsts on 05-15-2008 01:29 PM
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
lpg

Hey Matt - well, I followed those instructions and the following happened:

1.  the test contact was not added to my group

2.  only 1 of my prior contacts (of 26 total) that i had manually assigned to my group are no longer visible when you click on "contacts"; I do see them on the group detail page when my group is selected; when i click on contacts it says i have 1 of 1 contacts

what am i doing wrong?

thanks!!!

Nickel Contributor

after you import that test contact, go to it in contact view and look under the contact info tab.  who is listed as record creator and manager?

After you set up the dynamic membership for the groups, they should be automatic. in your group list (select on left pane) when you clik on a group (Lisa) are they all listed in the window on the right? or just the one contact?

2.  you may have accidentally performed a lookup and are now looking at that lookup of one contact (ie: 1 of 1 contacts) and need to select lookup|all contacts.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
lpg

cool - i did hit the lookup - so all the contacts are there!!  (such a rookie!!!)

Your instructions work (after a few rookie user errors!!!)!!!  This is awesome - thanks a million!!

Lisa 

lpg

I have one more question for you:

when i manually assigned contacts to my group i see the group name on the contact screen under group/companies....i dont see that on the ones that i imported following your instructions, but they are physically in my group...is that a problem? 

Nickel Contributor

I dont think ACT displays dynamic memberships thre automatically.  if you click on "display dynamic group membership" on the groups/companies tab, it should display there.

To answer your question, I dont think its a problem.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA