Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing combined first name and last name into the Contact field

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Importing combined first name and last name into the Contact field

I have a CSV file that contains one column for Contact name.  It is not separated into First and Last name, it is the full name in one cell.  When I try to import it as a CSV or even TXT file, the Contact name comes up blank.  If I import it into a different 'character' type field, it imports fine.

How can I get the names to come up in the Contact field?  We are using ACT Premium 2011 version 13.0.401.0, hot fix 2.

Thanks  Smiley Happy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author TCAGE
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Importing combined first name and last name into the Contact field

So I called ACT support on this, and we worked for an hour.  At the end, we were able to import into the Contact field in the Demo database, but not my database.  I was told since it worked there, it had something to do with my file or my database and that was up to me to fix.

I've tried altering my files this way and that, to no avail.  So to workaround the issue, I created a Contact2 field to import the names into.  Then once the import was complete, I created a lookup of all the imports and used the Copy Field feature to copy all the names from the Contact2 field into the Contact field.  Problem resolved, albeit with extra work on my part.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else should come across this issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try naming the name column in your .csv file to "Contact", so it will automatically map to the Contact field in your database. Also make sure there is only one space between the first and last names in that column.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Ok, I did that with the same results.  Any other suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

What format are the names in your Contact column in?
Example:
First Name <space> Last Name
Last Name, First Name

Are you working with this file in Excel or a text editor?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for helping Greig  Smiley Happy

FirstName<space>LastName

I'm working in Excel 2007

Solution
Accepted by topic author TCAGE
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

So I called ACT support on this, and we worked for an hour.  At the end, we were able to import into the Contact field in the Demo database, but not my database.  I was told since it worked there, it had something to do with my file or my database and that was up to me to fix.

I've tried altering my files this way and that, to no avail.  So to workaround the issue, I created a Contact2 field to import the names into.  Then once the import was complete, I created a lookup of all the imports and used the Copy Field feature to copy all the names from the Contact2 field into the Contact field.  Problem resolved, albeit with extra work on my part.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else should come across this issue.

Bronze Super Contributor

Just to sped others finding the solution here, this KB contains the steps need to import from .csv

Importing From a CSV File Does Not Import Data Into Contact Field

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2610...