Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing and exporting problems

Copper Contributor

Importing and exporting problems

I have read all the suggested solutions for imports that don't import, tried them all, and none work.

Until today, I have never had a problem importing contacts from a csv file (Excel file saved as csv).  Now, when I run the Import function, I see the progress bar advancing from start to finish, but when I go to look up any of the contacts, not a single one is found.

I then tried importing them into the demo file.  That worked.

So the first question, why does importing into one database work, while importing into another no longer does?

I ran database maintenance; ran the import again - same result.  Counter counts.  Nothing imports.

if the counter is counting and no imported contacts can be found, where are they going?

I then tried exporting the contacts I added to the demo database to my working database. Same thing happens: the counter says they're exporting, but when I open the working database, they are nowhere to be found.

Database is on my local machine (private database)

Operating system is Windows 10

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing and exporting problems

This kind of import problem is most often a result of the duplicate checking settings.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

and so I'm supposed to do...

what?

BTW, I made no changes to the duplicate checking settings.

Verify the validity of the dup checking settings for this particular import.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I appreciate your efforts to help, but I don't understand what it means to "Verify the validity of the dup checking settings for this particular import."

1. What does a valid (vs. an invalid) dup checking setting look like, so I'll recognize it if I see it?
  2. I've never changed the dup setting for any import, so why should the import suddenly stop working and require me to check the validity of the settings?
  3. Those records which are not being imported don't appear in the database, so what dup setting could possible be set that would result in the behavior I described?

Anyway, I tried turning off dup checking and that did the trick.  But that doesn't obviate my question because doing so is clearly not advisable - nor should it be necessary (why have a dup checking function if it can't be used?).

Thanks,

Craig

1. The dup checking are the fields you specify. 2. Irrelevant. 3. If the specified fields are blank or the same for each import record, at most one record would be imported. Try looking up dup checking in Help.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

There are 2 areas you need to check.

Go to Tools - Preferences - Admin - Duplicate Checking - And select what fields you want to check for duplicated from - or with a newer version of ACT this option is in the import wizard.

Now where I think where the problem lies - In the import wizard never use the Typical Import Option, always use custom and select field matches.

Now when you get to Specify Merge Options further in the wizard click on the button Contact and now select the import options. Make sure that the right hand area is set to ADD.