Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing a database without back up and restore function

Importing a database without back up and restore function

I am using ACT 2009. I was not able to back up my database with the back up and restore function of ACT because I can't access the database,  but I do have the .PAD files of my database. Since act is not working for me I am planning to reinstalling the program. I was just wondering if there is a possible way to manually import my database.

Thank you

Bronze Contributor

Re: Importing a database without back up and restore function

The .pad file is only a pointer to the database and I would be looking as to why the backup is not working rather than going straight to a reinstall as generally the backup issue can be resolved.

What OS are you using?

Is the database local to your machine?

What is the error message?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I cant get access the database itself to back it up. Everytime I load up ACT this message pops up :

"The database <Database name> could not be accessd. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..."

I have tried all the possible trouble shooting with no success. So I figured I would reinstall the program hoping that the problem would be solved.

I am using windows vista, and the database is only on this one computer.

Platinum Elite Contributor

That message often indicates that the SQL server isn't running. Have you checked that?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The SQL Server (ACT7) is marked as Stopped. Everytime I try and start it this message pops up 

" The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event lopg or other applicable errors logs for details"