Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing a county clerk property database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing a county clerk property database

I'm trying to import a database (Excel) of properties from the county clerk into ACT so I can access the owners. However, there are (of course) a few problems.

1) The property name field is "lastname firstname" with no delimiter to help with parsing, whereas ACT likes "firstname lastname". Is there a way to remap this somehow during import? The only thing I've found to help parse the name is when it's already in ACT, I can specify what part is the first, middle, and last name.

2) There are a number of different properties owned by the same person so when I import the database, ACT helpfully removes duplicates so I get only one entry - the first one I think, the others are lost.

Each property does have a unique 20-digit (or so) number. I could import that as the 'company' so that each line would be retained, but that seems kind of lame otherwise.

Any ideas? Is ACT the wrong tool for this application?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author paulkinzelman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Importing a county clerk property database

For 1. use Excel to split the name into a first name and a last name column and then map the first name to the first name field and the last name to the last name field.

For 2. set the dup checking to different fields. If the property identifier is unique, use that exclusively for the dup checking.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author paulkinzelman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

For 1. use Excel to split the name into a first name and a last name column and then map the first name to the first name field and the last name to the last name field.

For 2. set the dup checking to different fields. If the property identifier is unique, use that exclusively for the dup checking.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

I did that whole thing where I separated the First Name and Last Name for my layout.  It messed up everything because the "Contact" option is a defined field from the Act! program.  After changing things to First Name - Last Name I was no longer able to create new contacts within Act because the First Name - Last Name field was grayed out.  So I ended up going back to the "Contact" field. It does automatically put the first and last name there.  I do agree with fixing it in Excel though.  Switch the colums around so that the first name is obviously first.
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing

>I did that whole thing where I separated the First Name and Last Name for my layout.

You mean in the ACT/Contact field where you can say for each name what's first, middle,

and last?

I've got about 7000 lines so I'd have to have my heirs finish it for me. :-)

Also, some of the names start with "The" so I'll have to take that out as well.

Tuned Listener

>For 1. use Excel to split the name into a first name and a last name column and then map the first name to the first name field and the last name to the last name field.

What I am saying is that I did that. I split the two fields and maped them to a "first name" and "last name" field in ACT. BUT .... when I did that it messed things up.  The first name and last name field were then grayed out.  The only way that I could get information into them was from Excel.  I couldn't create a contact from Act its self anymore, it would not let me type in the box.

Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing

Thanks for the warning, I did see that in your original. But I'm new to ACT so I just wanted to understand how you tried to do it to see if there was some other place that did name-splitting that I didn't know about. I'd be doing this experimenting in a throw-away database anyway, so if it messes up I can just delete it.
Tuned Listener

that is a really good idea (to test things out)....i am new to ACT also.  I used a 30 day trial just to play around and see if I wanted to attempt to use the program.  I kept on being told that when I bought the program it would be so much easier because there were things in the real program that were not in the demo.  So far I am not to impressed but we will see.....I am willing to give it a chance.  I have said on here befor that I wish there were someone who lived close to me so that they could teach me how to use this program because Technical Support is HORRIBLE!!!!
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing
Nickel Elite Contributor

Proximity is not a requirement with today's remote control capability. I have clients throughout the USA and I've even done a report training session for a group in Australia.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

>>because Technical Support is HORRIBLE!!!!

That's why they have forums. :-) And it could be worse, you could be *after* your 30-days and be paying for support. :-)  But I thought that the program was the same if you install it and before you register it as after you register it. I've found it to work pretty well so far.

I'm also in my 30-days and have called once or twice and I've found them to be helpful. If you don't get the answer you need, you could also try calling back later and getting somebody else.

I called about a technical issue (how to change from single to multi user, and so how to move a database), and they connected me with a more technical person and he seemed to know what he was talking about (or "ab-oot" if you're in Canada :-). And I've gotten a couple of good answers on this forum.

Tuned Listener

yes but you usually needs tons of money to get into those sessions.
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing