Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing a Product list from Excel Spreadsheet

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Importing a Product list from Excel Spreadsheet

if we have defined extra fields for products, is it then impossible to import the data for these fields into the product table through a .csv file? ie this would mean more then 4 columns?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I checked on ACT! Fanatics and got this reply:

It's important to note that additional fields are not in the Master Product Table List ... and therefore can't be imported. The additional Product fields (from define Fields) are only used in the Opportunity Product List for entry when adding products to the Opportunity. We created a set up custom tables and a plugin for a user who needed the products to automate discount tables based on product, volume and customer default discount level... but it was tricky work

Then another comment: You can do this with Oakmerge. Create the new product field in ACT!, then map/merge.

The Reply: You can import products - Opportunities | Manage Product List. But not OakMerge, nor any other tool, can import more than the 4 fields in the Master Product table ... the additional fields don't exist there

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks Sharon.

Yeh i've kind of realised that, currently workign on a plugin - we have quite a detailed product list so I'm working on having the additional fields automatically populated everytime a product is added - the way I have it right now is that it'll be read from an excel file. It is indeed tricky work, considering
a) there's no event for a product being added to an opportunity

b) even updating the fields in the productservices table needs a workaround

fun time overall, I'll poston how it went when I get it sorted out if anyone's interested

Highlighted

Hi Greig,

I've done everything below but still can't import the csv file it still says 'could not find valid products...' in the directory I selected.

Any other insight for me?

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

What I have found works in the past is to export the product list as a blank worksheet  and then import using the exported sheet with products entered.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted

thanks! that worked for me Smiley Happy