Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing a Product list from Excel Spreadsheet

Importing a Product list from Excel Spreadsheet

I am having problems with importing a product list.  Can't seem to get it to work and am getting the error that states "could not find any valid products in..."  Any suggestions?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing a Product list from Excel Spreadsheet

Hello dartomp,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. This error will occur if the .csv file you are attempting to import is not formatted correctly. The formatting should be as follows:

- Must have exactly 4 columns (no more, no less), in this order and with these exact names: Name, Item Number, Cost, Price

- No blank data in any of the cells (rows) for any of the products in any of the columns

- The Cost and Price columns must not contain any non-alphanumeric data, such as commas or periods. Okay to use $ signs, as long as it is not the only character in the cell.

- File must be saved in a comma-delimited (.csv) format.

Update your import file to follow these formatting rules and see if the import works.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

we use import it to import our lists - it works like a charm - http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/crm_importit_basic.asp

sharon randall

www.actaddons.com

Hello,

I was able to get ACT to read my file, however it says that some of my items have an 'invalid product code' and it did not import them. It skiped about 500 of my 600 part numbers. Any ideas as to why?

Hello nathanpell,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to your question, this could be due to blank cells or invalid data in one of more of the columns. Remember, you must have 4 columns and there can be no empty values for any of the products in any of the columns. Please see KB Article 14389 for more information.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

I'm a new user (started recently with Act 2011) and am running into the same problem. I gave up trying to get Act to import my contacts from Outlook 2010 and ended up importing them directly from an Excel 2010 spreadsheet which had been exported from Outlook. I've had no difficulty importing Contacts from Constant Contact and other csv or Excel files.

So I thought it should be fairly simple to import a product list from Excel. No such luck. There seems to be no option for importing from Excel (it doesn't recognize a .xslx or .xsl file) and when I try to import a test list of 101 products saved as a .csv file, it says that 98 of the 101 products are invalid. 

The three products it will import are the only ones which don't have commas in the name. e.g. Galaxy mug, set of 2, 14 oz. 

I suppose I will be advised to take out all of the commas; which probably makes sense for a Comma-Something-or-other-V file, but that doesn't work for me. I want to use the same Excel file for a web site and with names which the commas make readable.

Is there another format I can use? And keep my commas? I can enter products manually (with commas), but that would get mighty tedious and I would then still have multiple databases I would need to edit every time I need to update one item.

Hello sandcarver,

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use commas because the .csv is a comma-delimited file. With a .csv, a comma indicates a a new column, so this would invalidate the import.  In addition, you will not be able to use periods, colons, or semi-colons. In lieu of these, you can use dashes or parentheses.

Example:

"Mug, 20 oz" will not import (due to comma)

"Mug (20 oz.)" will not import (due to period)

"Mug - 20 oz" will import

"Mug (20 oz)" will import

Greig Hollister

I gather that I can not use commas with a csv file. My questions was whether there is another file format that I can use instead of csv. SQL? Access? 

It does seem odd that Act can import Contacts directly from an Excel spreadsheet but not products from an Excel spreadsheet.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as well and have a question regarding importing and managing product lists.  I have a CSV file with 4 columns as specified in one of the articles on the subject.  They are Name, Item Number, Cost and Price.

There are no empty cells.

I understand that periods cannot be used in any of the columns.  If this is so how do you manage your costs and prices?  FOr example if an Item costs you 5.50 and sells for 10.25 what do you do?

I have several hundred products and need a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Disregard - I figured it out.  You must format the cells as text.

Thanks