Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing a Dropdown List

CS
Copper Contributor

Importing a Dropdown List

I seem to be having issues with importing a dropdown list. I create the list of items in Excel and save it as a .csv. I then click on create dropdown in ACT 2009 and when I get to the import section it doesn't work? I can find the .csv file and click on it to import but nothing happens? If I go back to the file and put a comma after each one of the items, it imports but with the comma still there. Then I have to go back into the dropdown and edit all of the commas out? Any advice? The same thing happens if I put quotes around the items, they import but I end up with two sets of quotes that I have to edit out?
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Importing a Dropdown List

Yes you should take the commas out so that you just have the list items as you would like them

inserted.  In Excel populate your list starting in A1 heading downward A2,A3,...

In B1 type this formula: =Concatenate("#",A1,"#") and drag the lower right cell corner down to the

bottom of your list.  Click on the entire B column to select it, type Control C then Edit > Paste Special.

Select Values only then click OK.  Select the A column and delete it.  Save the file as .CSV.  Open the

file with a text editor like Notepad, GVIM, or Notepad++ and replace the # with ".  Save that file.  Use that

file to import for the dropdown. 

I also used Open Office 3.1 saved the list as CSV and didn't have to do any of the editing as it saved

properly with double quotes.

The trick is looking at the file with a text editor to verify that all looks properly delimited with double quotes

before doing the import.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Importing a Dropdown List

Also see KB#14255