Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing VCard into Act 2010

Copper Contributor

Importing VCard into Act 2010

I'm using Outlook 2007 and Act 2010.  When someone sends me a VCard and I receive it in Outlook, how do I import the contact details from the VCard into my Act database?

Re: Importing VCard into Act 2010

I found this on the web:

If he vCard opens up in Outlook instead of ACT!, you need to change the default program used to handle vCards.  Right-click the .vcf file (save a copy to your desktop if your vCard is an e-mail attachment) and choose "Open With" and then "Choose Default Program".  If ACT! doesn't show up in the list, browse to find ActSage.exe, which by default in ACT! 2010 is c:\program files\act\act for windows\ActSage.exe

Copper Contributor

You can set this one time so you won;t have to save to your desktop everytime:

st1\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui) } @font-face { font-family: Palatino Linotype; } @font-face { font-family: Magneto; } @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } P.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 }
Simply change the default program used to handle vCards.

To do this:
Open My Computer
Click Tools, then Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll down and left click VCF
Click the Change button
Select Choose Open with ACT! by Sage --- OR --- if ACT is not listed, click Browse and locate the application which by default in ACT! 2010 is c:\program files\act\act for windows\ActSage.exe
Click OK and Close

John Kaufman
ACT! Certified Consultant
The CRM Connection
John Kaufman
john@thecrmconnection.com
www.thecrmconnection.com

ACT! BPAC Member - Want your voice heard? Contact me or any of the other BPAC Members

Thanks. This is a great work around. It would be good to see this incorporated as a feature in the same way that one can use Quick Attach to send emails to a contact in ACT.

One problem I have experienced though is that some data is lost on importing the vcf. For example, most of the address gets imported, but not the city, post code nor the country. (Actually, the country field shows :"Uni="  instead of United Kingdom.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Derek

Nickel Elite Contributor

Take a look at this AddOn to see if it would help...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Just downloaded Richard Brust's Add-on - works a treat.

Sure this facility should be included in ACT! anyway, but $6 is nothing for a little extra productivity.

Skilled Commentator

I can get to work again. I had to reinstall ACT and tried this solution. The Merge Merge Options window pops up. I click OK but it doesn't merge or come it any other way??? 

Skilled Commentator

I figured it out! I can (you can) now import / merge a VCard from LinkedIn or anywhere else directly into ACT!.

Steps:

1) Open any folder in Windows Explorer

2) Select Tools then Folder Options

3) Select the File Types tab

4) Scroll down and highlight Extension VCF, vCard file

5) Click the Advance button then the Edit button 

6) In the Application used to perform action box type "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe" /v "%1" or wherever ACT is on your computer. Note it's the ActSage.exe file (a least for ACT 2011).

The exact syntax is important.

a) Quotes around the path then 

b) Space /v space - without quotes then

c) Quote %1 quote.

7) You can type ACT! in the Application box - not necessary.

8) Click the OK button

If you want to change the icon to ACT! - not necessary

1) Click the Change Icon button

2) Click Browse to or type C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe. No quotes.

No additional software needed just part of Windows. I hope this helps.