Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Records - Unhandled Exception - Object Reference

Importing Records - Unhandled Exception - Object Reference

I am trying to import about 400 new records into my Act Database (about 11,000 records)  and have wasted a lot of time with no luck.

I've done it before without a problem. I've tried importing from an excel file a comma delimited file and an Act file. (Was able to import from excel to a blank Act databsse.

I am getting an error - Unhandled Exception - Object Reference....

A couple of times it has gone through and imported (the green bar has competed)  but no records were added.

My database is on a server and I am on an XP workstation. I also tried copying the database to my workstation and importing  with no luck and tried copying the excel file to the server and still no luck. I've tried to do a couple of things with duplicate record checking, but still no luck.

I also called tech support, but those guys overseas haven't been able to help me on anything.  Why we spent that money I'll never know.  Anyt Act tips I've gotten has been off this forum and through Karen Fredericks at Tech Benders.

Hopefully someone has some answers  - I could have input thsese manually by now. Thanks Again !

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com

Re: Importing Records - Solved It !

Seems the problem why no records were getting added was that I had enabled duplicate checking on a field that was blank in the new data.

After going to:

Tools

Preferences

Administration

Enable Duplicate Checking

I enabled the dupicate checking on the company and phone fileds that were filled in and I was finally able to add.

I believe the unhandled exception had to do with importing from a workstation to the server - still a potential problem, but I'm good for now.

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Records - Solved It !

Yup, Dupe Checking on the wrong field ... catches out many

Obj Ref on import... usually means file is open in Excel or something else as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2435...

Re: Importing Records - Unhandled Exception - Object Reference

Hey,

I'm a n00b here, but I'm having a similar problem.

I'm trying to import data to specific fields in contact records matched on the "contact" field. I set it so that i can check each individual record as it is imported, and merge them to the pre-existing records.

(I am running ACT! 2011 and have converted the files to .csv and matched the fields)

The import begins properly, but after a 3rd of the records are matched, i get the same "unhandled exception" error message.

-Duplicate checking setting are only on "contact"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Mike