Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Importing Problem

I'm using ACT! 2010 and Windows 7. I have one database that I've had no problem importing into (CSV) in the past. Then all the sudden, now when I go to import, the status bar hangs and never completes. When it disappears, my new contacts aren't loaded into my database. It appears to be specific to this database as well, as I created a "test" database, and had no problem importing into it.

I don't want to export the database into a new database, even though that would solve the importing problem, because I have so many custom created fields and lists that go along with them it would be a nightmare to try and redo.

Help? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author TaylorC
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Importing Problem

Since you have narrowed it down to being database specific:

First run Database Maintenance:

- Go to Tools > Database Maintenance > select Check and Repair

- Test import.

If not resolved, create an Empty Copy of the database to test.  The Empty Copy will contain all of your custom fields and drop down lists.

- go to File > Save Copy As > give new name and select "Create an Empty Copy of the database"

- Open the Empty copy and test the import 

- If the import works in the Empty Copy, you can import your original database into this copy.

Instructions for creating and Empty Copy and Exporting from one database to another: Create Empty copy and Export instructions 

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author TaylorC
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Since you have narrowed it down to being database specific:

First run Database Maintenance:

- Go to Tools > Database Maintenance > select Check and Repair

- Test import.

If not resolved, create an Empty Copy of the database to test.  The Empty Copy will contain all of your custom fields and drop down lists.

- go to File > Save Copy As > give new name and select "Create an Empty Copy of the database"

- Open the Empty copy and test the import 

- If the import works in the Empty Copy, you can import your original database into this copy.

Instructions for creating and Empty Copy and Exporting from one database to another: Create Empty copy and Export instructions 

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Greg - 

Your 2nd solution worked for me. I actually didn't even create an empty copy, I just created a regular copy. I can't believe I didn't try this before posting, must've slipped my mind. Still boggles my mind that my database just all of the sudden stopped importing, wonder why. At least this is a quick and easy fix.

Thanks Greg,

Taylor 

Just purchased Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2 I am not able to import an excel spread sheet. I have saved it as a text file but when I import nothing imports, I have tried to import it as a typical install

Hello Key,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

First you'll want to verify that there isn't an issue with the file being imported.  Create a new Excel spreadsheet with 1 or 2 rows of data and import it.  If it doesn't import into your main database, test importing it into the ACT! Demo database. 

Also, be sure to enable Duplicate Checking under the Tools > Preferences > Admin tab.   

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another thing you can look at it is to make sure your merge options are correct. During the import wizard you will come to a screen for merge options. Click the Contact button, and in the contact merge options dialog box, make sure that the value on the right side says "Add".

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I haven't worked with my ACT database in several months, but last time I did, everything worked fine. Yesterday, I go to import a spreadsheet of about 200 contacts, and it's not working. I go through the whole import process, it gets to the screen where it has two status bars - the one for Preparing to Import fills up immediately, the one that shows actual importing never starts loading, sits there for awhile, the whole dialog box disappears, and nothing has been imported. I have tried .csv and .txt files. I  have tried a new test spreadsheet with a few names on it. I have tried saving an empty copy of the database and importing to that. Nothing works. I have no idea what could have happened - I used to import spreadsheets like this easily. Any suggestions? Without this functionality, the whole program is worthless to us. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ragatz,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. With what you are describing the issue is most likely with either database or the spreadsheet. Try a test import either into a brand new database or the demo database and see if the same thing happens.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I haven't been able to import Companies
Deleted preferences and bing bang boom - worked
Tom David Moxam

I have the same issue that I can't solve. I'm running Act 2010 with Win7. I've created a tab delimited file as a test which still won't import. I've run repair, created empty copy and it still won't import. What else can I try? I did not have this issue with previous versions of Act and failure to import data is creating serious problems for my business.