Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Phone records into existing contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Importing Phone records into existing contacts

Recently I merged two databases.  When merging the phone records did not merge with the contact information.  Is there a way that I can just get the phone records from the previous database to try merging again?  There are over 10,000 phone numbers involved.  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rschou10
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Importing Phone records into existing contacts

On the mapping page during the import you can browse through the records to be imported, some times you can see failures before they happen. Your excel spreadsheet your using for the import should be saved as a .csv, contain no special characters and have as few fields as possible for the import (Contact, Company and the phone numbers your attempting to import. Import failures almost always fail as a result of some issue with the data being imported

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

Export your contacts to excel and remove all fields other than the phone fields and 2-3 anchor fields to you know which contacts they belong to and then import to your current database.
Copper Contributor

So, keep the phone field, the company field and contact field and it should be all right?  It won't create a new record?
Copper Contributor

Can I get by without importing the notes all over again?  It took forever to merge the databases and if I can just grab the phone numbers with the contacts that would be great.

Nickel Contributor

Notes won't even be exported. But yes, if you go to tools >> preferences on the general tab is an option for duplicate checking that you can use to prevent duplicates from being created.
Copper Contributor

OK, I did this and only 3000+ of the 9700 phone records transfered.  I looked in the original file and all the phone numbers are there.

Why didn't all of the numbers transfer?

Nickel Contributor

I woud highly advise you to shorten the length of that import.
Copper Contributor

I was thinking the same thing but now that I have some of the phone records imported, how can I go back and make sure of the others and not repeat over again?

Nickel Contributor

Tools >> Pref >> Duplicate checking
Copper Contributor

I took your advice and broke it down into smaller segments and still no avail.  I am so confused as to why it won't import all of the phone numbers.