Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing First name Last Name fields into contact field

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing First name Last Name fields into contact field

[ Edited ]

Am importing .csv file with First Name and Last Name fields. First Name and Last name fields do not show up in the drop downs in the mapping window to map to.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bda1357
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing First name Last Name fields into contact field

[ Edited ]

Hello bda1357,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. The First Name and Last Name fields in ACT! are system fields, so cannot be mapped manually. However, during an import ACT! will automatically map any field where the column name in the source field exactly matches the field name in ACT!. So just name those columns in your .csv file with the exact names "First Name" and "Last Name", and ACT! will automatically map those. When imported in, they will be combined in the Contact name field.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Hi bda1357 - why not combine the first and last names in the csv file and then load them into the contact field?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Solution
Accepted by topic author bda1357
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello bda1357,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. The First Name and Last Name fields in ACT! are system fields, so cannot be mapped manually. However, during an import ACT! will automatically map any field where the column name in the source field exactly matches the field name in ACT!. So just name those columns in your .csv file with the exact names "First Name" and "Last Name", and ACT! will automatically map those. When imported in, they will be combined in the Contact name field.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks! I'm a bit limited in Excel knowledge so could not figure  a way to easily do that for 1000 contacts but that would work!

Thank you Greg!  That helps in a number of other things I want to do. Did not realize that!

I have read the knowledge base articles and viewed these help topics and as it appears the issue has been covered, yet when I attempt to implement it still does not work.  Each time I attempt to change the First Name Last Name title in the .csv file it then recognizes nothing when I go to map the database.  I have used this software off and on for 20 years and I will have to say that with each new version it becmes more cumbersome and difficult to use and set up.  I am a sales professional and not an engineer or an IT tech.....I really need to only tell time and not be instructed as to how to build the watch.

If someone has a simple solution I'd love to hear it otherwise I will be looking for another CRM.

[ Edited ]

Hello fmjordan23,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. In order for ACT! to automatically map to those fields (or ant other fields), the column name must be exact: First Name and Last Name. Make sure there are no hard returns (column name is on a single line), leading or trailing spaces, or special characters in the column name; also make sure the first record under the column name not blank. You could try creating two new columns then copying just the cell data into those.

Greig Hollister

DOES NOT WORK...............

BACK UP COMMENT BY FMJORDAN23

"If someone has a simple solution I'd love to hear it otherwise I will be looking for another CRM."
Copper Elite Contributor

When you say "does not work" do you mean that the records did not import?

If you do a custom import, then you can control the behaviour for matches during duplicate checking (if that is turned on).

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Hello alto,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The issue may be with your database. Try a test import with your file into the demo database that came with the software (ACT[version#]Demo) and see if the First Name and Last Name fields match up.

Greig Hollister