04-07-2013 06:36 AM
If you expoort data onto a flash drive, will you still have it on your computer where it was taken from or will it be gone? Also, can you export/import data excluding activities and import on new computer with diffrent serial number for ACT 2011 premium
04-08-2013 07:19 AM
Judging by your other post - it appears you would like to import data between 2 databases. Within the import wizard is an option to enable or disable "Include other users' public activities" (screen 5 of 7).
Are you only looking to export contact data? If yes, you can use the File > Export option to export to a CSV file (can be opened with Excel), you'll need to change the 'Files of type' to CSV. It will export all contact field data and can be imported into another database.
04-08-2013 07:50 AM
You are rockin", so if I export the data and install on to other computer I will still keep the data on my computer and also the layout/fields that I install on new database will apply
04-08-2013 09:56 AM
I'd actually like to back up a step and ask: What is the end result you want?
You've asked about merging 2 databases, and mentioned 'layouts/fields' in the last post - so if you can further define the end result, it will be easier to recommend the steps to get there.
- Do you have 2 existing databases?
- Have they both had contacts added to them? Or is one basically a new/empty database?
- Are there customized fields in each database?
- Do you want to put a copy of the existing database on another computer (with activities removed - but all other data)?
04-08-2013 10:04 AM
Yes there are 2 existing databases with contacts added. there are some fields that are not "identical" in them. However, the one database fields are not properly set up. We will be adding ACT to one computer and want to import one database minus the activities, and that database will have appropiate fields and then take the other database and import so that the existing contacts are added to fields assigne.
So, yeah, we can start a new database and then import database with correct fields minus activities and them import other database with all info-- then want to synchronize -- make sense?
We are at 2 diff locatioins
04-08-2013 12:31 PM
Thanks - I have a better idea of what you are looking to do.
It sounds like you are planning to create a new database, update it with the desired fields, then import the other 2 databases' contacts into it (just contacts, no other info). If I mis-understood, please respond.
If that is correct, see the following instructions:
1. Create new database, customize fields and layout
2. Disable Duplicate Checking in new database (Tools > Preferences... > Admin tab > Duplicate Checking > disable)
3. Create back up of new database (File > Back Up > Database)
4. Open old database, click File > Export - export to CSV file (this will include all Contact field data)
5. Repeat export in other old database
6. Move export files (CSV) to computer with new database
6. Open new database
7. Click File > Import > CSV as file type > select one of the export files > Contact records > Custom import > set mapping of fields
8. When import complete > create another back up of the new database
9. Repeat import to select second file
10. Check results to ensure all contacts listed. You may need to clean up duplicates.
- Is there a network connection between your different locations? Can you share files between your computers (can you see the other computer on the network)?
- I think one of your posts mentioned you have ACT! 2011, is that correct? Premium or Pro/Standard? You can get this information from the Help > About ACT! option.
Creating a remote database for synchronization is done through the Tools > Synchronization Panel option. Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 14116
Synchronization cannot occur unless there is a network connection. If one doesn't currently exist, you may have to set up a VPN connection. Here is an article with instructions for setting up a free VPN using 'Hamachi': KB Article 23333
04-08-2013 01:12 PM
Thank you greg for detail list of instructioins. Can I also import the other database into the old one so we will have a new database as well as the older addition. We are not on a network, so will have to futher investigate synchronization. Also, the main reason we want to set up a new database is because we need the other gals database to look like miine because her "look-up criteria" is goofy...so if she imputs mine, that will solve the issue? and then she can imput hers to go into desired fields?
04-08-2013 01:19 PM
Certainly you can import your database/contacts into her database, there doesn't have to be a 'new' database created. That can be done as 'database to database' which includes all information, or using the earlier steps to create a CSV file (only contact field data) from your database - then import it into her database. You'll want to make sure that her database has the custom fields to accept your data, before starting the import.
04-08-2013 01:22 PM
The whole reason on starting a new database for her was to have the appropiate fields (that being mine), and enable correct tools for Lookup purposes. Then we were going to import hers into that database, so all fields have to match? And if their are fields that she has that I don't are they added in the import process?
04-08-2013 01:24 PM
Also, Greg do you work for Sage directly and if not would like an idea on services that you provide or if you DO services and pricing for setup for databases and then synchronize or if we can share since not on same network? Can we share databases even not on same network?